The Puukko

material lined up for fiting test
The first Raindeer bolster cracked on me, so I had to take a new piece with some darker core in it. I gave it a CA-glue treatment to make sure it´s solid.
I need to shape the front without the blade, because I fear that I will ruin the blade otherwise.
To be continued ;)

I have a Q for any of you sheath makers... I want to make a sheath like the original Mora. Spear point and the seam on the back.
I have made a template in wood, handle and the shape of the "blade". I did a test using some old raw leather, keeps shape and becomes hard enough that I don´t need any blade cover inside. It fits a knife really well. But how will I do to make the blade part flat and the handle part round when I have the seam on the back? Do I need to make some sort of mold? Can I soake the front and mold first and let it dry, and then soake the sides and wrap and sew?

I have a Q for any of you sheath makers... I want to make a sheath like the original Mora. Spear point and the seam on the back.
I have made a template in wood, handle and the shape of the "blade". I did a test using some old raw leather, keeps shape and becomes hard enough that I don´t need any blade cover inside. It fits a knife really well. But how will I do to make the blade part flat and the handle part round when I have the seam on the back? Do I need to make some sort of mold? Can I soake the front and mold first and let it dry, and then soake the sides and wrap and sew?
Some info on how the original Mora sheaths were made-
And additional bits on making sheaths with the seam on the back in this video-

You can mold it to shape by hand, when it's wet but after it dries a bit. The seam needs to be secured and set first, either by clamps or pre stitching it.

Much easier to just use a blade cover (lesta) and depending on the thickness of the leather it may or may not be a good idea. I wouldn't go below 7oz leather for a sheath without a lesta.

I put a few layers of corrugated cardboard on the blade (both sides)and wrap the knife in kitchen foil.
I sew the leather wet. When the stitching is done I make it soking wet and push the wrapped knife in there.
It will dry around the knife.
I take the knife out after one or two hours and let the sheath dry over night.

Any Finnish makers making puukko in magnacut?

The time has come to embrace my Finnish heritage with my carry..

Looking exclusively for a puukko made in Finnland and of magnacut.. Any help would be great!

I am a Niskala by the way

EZ

Back