The REK Sparrow front flipper thread

Just got finished watching the 7th installment of the WIP videos up on YouTube šŸ¤”. With all the hand work that goes into these, Iā€™m having trouble with the classification as mid-tech. Iā€™m guessing it has something to do with numbers, 1 vs. 10?
Either way I appreciate all your skill being used to produce such a fine pocket knifešŸ¤—
Thanks man! yeah I call them mid-techs because I do have a lot of CNC work done to them and don't do texturing by hand and that sort of thing. But yeah the line is a bit fuzzy lol. I started on the next 16 yesterday!

Josh does also make custom Sparrows. I figured he forgot to mention.

So there are full custom Sparrows, and the Mid-Tech versions with the texturing.

Please correct me if I am wrong, Josh.

Josh does also make custom Sparrows. I figured he forgot to mention.

So there are full custom Sparrows, and the Mid-Tech versions with the texturing.

Please correct me if I am wrong, Josh.

Yes that's basically I can differentiate from the special pieces I spend a bunch of extra time on vs. the normal ones that require less time... so I say 'midtech' and 'custom' even though the latter isn't a custom in the truest sense of the word (where the customer picks out what they want from design to materials etc). I guess you could call it a makers choice custom lol! They basically have a lot of embellishments - everything from special blade finishes/shapes to hand ground sculpting etc.

Finally! the knife gods have allowed me to LIIIIIIIIVE!

qp7CBvU.jpg

This thing is awesome! Supposedly this is serial number 1 of the mid techs, might need a citation from Josh to confirm.

Finally! the knife gods have allowed me to LIIIIIIIIVE!

qp7CBvU.jpg

This thing is awesome! Supposedly this is serial number 1 of the mid techs, might need a citation from Josh to confirm.
I do believe that it is indeed serial number one of the Midtechs.

Edit to addā€¦more to this story.

Last edited:
And youā€™re going to leave us hanging?šŸ™. Give it up please!!
That one is actually number 5. Number one got ā€œlost in the mailā€ along with some other knives that I was really looking forward to. :(

Number 5 was the replacement for the gentleman who was supposed to get #1.

Last edited:
That one is actually number 5. Number one got ā€œlost in the mailā€ along with some other knives that I was really looking forward to. :(

Number 5 was the replacement for the gentleman who was supposed to get #1.
Correct, Josh sent me a DM clarifying. Iā€™m not to concerned either way.

Itā€™s a killer knife!

Im far behind and super unfamiliar with it haha. I just scored not so long a midtech Sparrow, the newer version, on secondary. I was wondering if it still does run on PB washers or just plain Skiff bearings? Also which manufacturer does all the work?

Mine should land something Monday

Im far behind and super unfamiliar with it haha. I just scored not so long a midtech Sparrow, the newer version, on secondary. I was wondering if it still does run on PB washers or just plain Skiff bearings? Also which manufacturer does all the work?

Mine should land something Monday
That's awesome! Congrats!

The midtechs all run on skiffs... I'm not sure what you mean about which manufacturer? I don't send the files to an OEM to have them created if that's what you mean...

That's awesome! Congrats!

The midtechs all run on skiffs... I'm not sure what you mean about which manufacturer? I don't send the files to an OEM to have them created if that's what you mean...
Ahh gotcha, in my mind, Midtech would be having the parts to manufacturers to be done for say like waterjet cut the slab/handle, blade, etc, or like Brian Efros where the Mac Doom was done by HMC, for example.

Then, you assembled and do the final touch in house. But if you do that all by you, thatā€™s is even better! I mean, that basically custom rather than midtech.

Maybe, my knowledge of midtech is wrong all along šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

My apologies for anything offending that i might have said. Im just aware of the Sparrow not so long ago and i probably lack of info on it!

Last edited:
Ahh gotcha, in my mind, Midtech would be having the parts to manufacturers to be done for say like waterjet cut the slab/handle, blade, etc, or like Brian Efros where the Mac Doom was done by HMC, for example.

Then, you assembled and do the final touch in house. But if you do that all by you, thatā€™s is even better! I mean, that basically custom rather than midtech.

My apologies for anything offending that i might have said.
Tabarnak!

Les vidƩos sont sur youtube. regarde-les.

My apologies for anything offending that i might have said. Im just aware of the Sparrow not so long ago and i probably lack of info on it!
No offense taken šŸ‘ŠšŸ‘Š

Here's the Playlist with the steps I take to finish them out... I work with multiple companies to get the parts to where I take them from the Playlist videos below (I use various vendors for wire edm, heat treat, double disc grinding, lapping, and machining).

Back