Traditional Knives & Slingshots

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
How about a 'Traditional Knives & Slingshots' threads folks? Let's see 'em! ;) :thumbsup:

jDC2cN5.png

Thanks for a pleasant childhood memory. When I was a kid, my granddaddy would make me traditional slingshots from either 1x4 yellow pine or we would find the right branch from a red oak tree. He always had an old bicycle inner tube or heavy rubber band from the post office, some thin leather and waxed string. We would fashion the slingshot and off I would go to spend hours by the spring fed stream.

Thanks for a pleasant childhood memory. When I was a kid, my granddaddy would make me traditional slingshots from either 1x4 yellow pine or we would find the right branch from a red oak tree. He always had an old bicycle inner tube or heavy rubber band from the post office, some thin leather and waxed string. We would fashion the slingshot and off I would go to spend hours by the spring fed stream.
Great stuff, I make them for my friends' kids whenever I can find a suitable fork :) :thumbsup:

MIiVkXc.jpg

hQALhuN.jpg

FcGJ9zB.jpg

9PF7OCL.jpg

ntpSgNm.jpg

I’m in. I want to see some old timey sling shots and some instructions.

Instructions to make, or to shoot?

wZx6QxU.jpg
Make. I’m actually an okay shot, I grew up with a wrist rocket thing. I currently have one, and cast .311 size balls for ammo. But the traditional slingshots appeal to me and I’ve never explored that. Looks like it might make a fun knife project too.

Make. I’m actually an okay shot, I grew up with a wrist rocket thing. I currently have one, and cast .311 size balls for ammo. But the traditional slingshots appeal to me and I’ve never explored that. Looks like it might make a fun knife project too.
They're pretty easy to make, and you can make them out of all sorts of things, but the 'new' flat-bands really make a difference in terms of power and accuracy :) Loads of videos on YouTube :thumbsup:

Here's one made out of a Figure 8 abseil device :thumbsup:

5cLQbdI.jpg

Bit harder to carve than wood though ;) :thumbsup:

Where does one procure flat band and round bands?
Amazon? Online slingshot specialty store? Medical Supply store?
I've seen flat and round bands on Amazon, with or without the pouch.

Last edited:
Back