Traditional Knives, Watches and / or Pens

Remington R6465 pen knife and a Sheaffer's, Balance, Senior Lifetime fountain pen from the 30s.

Z8P2dZt.jpg

Did you get lucky or did you have to do a lot of searching to find matching celluloid?

Did you get lucky or did you have to do a lot of searching to find matching celluloid?
Short answer = I got lucky on this one. Was pursuing the pattern first.

Long answer = I have a few knives that have scales that were used by the 'great' fountain pen companies. The Big Four, Parker, Sheaffer's, Wahl-Eversharp and Waterman's, used the highest quality celluloid and often had exclusive rights to certain colors or mixtures of color. Celluloid gets a bad rap as knife scales as people are convinced that they will all off-gas, craze and crumble. My theory is that there were better grades of celluloid than others, not unlike other materials used in knives. This is very much the case with fountain pens. The pen you paid $15.00 - $20.00 for, back in the 30s, is going to have much higher quality material than the pen, that you paid a buck for. I have been able to find a few knives that I know for certain, use celluloid (most likely made by Dupont) that were originally for pens. I think part of the rarity in finding these knives with celluloid originally intended for pens is that the material was shipped to the pen manufacturers in rods (to be machined into pens at the factory), rather than sheets, that would be better suited for knife scales. Just a theory.

do you do the modding yourself?
Yes I do. I've done a handful of complete builds or mods. Mostly just stock stuff, I don't have the equipment to really make anything. I'm hoping to get a hold of a bigger lathe one of these days that would allow many more fun projects.

Yes I do. I've done a handful of complete builds or mods. Mostly just stock stuff, I don't have the equipment to really make anything. I'm hoping to get a hold of a bigger lathe one of these days that would allow many more fun projects.

very cool, im gonna message you with a few questions.

Todays mail call, American Whittler 13, and a pocket watch I was given tonight. It belonged to the brother of my great grandmother. No crystal, missing second hand, and won’t run. This will be a challenge I look forward to.

Attachments

• 86E172A9-277B-482C-B788-3B7CFEE84FC5.jpeg
    86E172A9-277B-482C-B788-3B7CFEE84FC5.jpeg
    665.2 KB · Views: 4
Back