• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

USPS Stellar Delivery at times

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
USPS handles an amazing amount of packages every day, hard to fathom the number of packages AND letters that pass through their facilities. We hear of extended periods of time packages have taken to reach even an adjacent state or within the same state. It's like it is stuck in a loop and can't get out of it, but even those eventually find their way to the correct address.

Now, I recently bought a knife, not a big surprise I know ;), from a fellow that lives in Hawaii. I mailed him a small package with a USPS postal money order inside, it was mailed on a Saturday and it arrived to him that MONDAY, AND it had to go from one island to his island to get to him! We were both blown away at how quickly that went from upstate New York all the way to Hawaii bouncing from one island to the next in less than two days total, to me that's unheard of and it was just sent regular mail not priority.

Now I've also had, recently, a package I sent to Ohio from upstate NY and that's taking several days and has yet to reach him, luckily he is a very understanding fellow and isn't worried, it should arrive tomorrow...maybe ;)

The knife from the guy in Hawaii did take longer to reach me and he sent it priority mail, hard to reason the time difference between the two but of course we both were happy it reached him so quickly!

So for you guys and gals that work for the USPS, I commend you, good work with so many things whizzing through the country!

G2

I have my issues with the USPS as a whole, but the gal who handles our rural route is a gem. I don't blame her in the least for the issues she can't control.

Good to hear your positive experience. I've always preferred USPS over other shipping methods, and this bolsters my confidence in my choice. :)

I have always been happy with the job the Post Office does and they do it a lot cheaper than other shippers. I think they get a bum rap from a lot of people.

I like to gripe about USPS sometimes but I must secretly like them because I rarely, if ever, use a different carrier when I ship packages.

I don’t even consider other carriers. I go straight to USPS without even thinking about it.

One thing about USPS is they are on a schedule to deliver at a certain time of the day, and you can usually count on them to do so. Where as UPS or FedEx will estimate from 8am to 10pm that day...maybe. So you can end up waiting all day and they decide to heck with that and change it later to the following day instead. Aggravating to say the least and most every UPS package I do get is quite filthy, as the ride in the truck it's hard to keep everything clean and still make their deliveries.

BUT I would hazard a guess that all the delivery options have their own bit of trouble from time to time, but as some of you agreed, USPS is one that I think does very well.
G2

USPS...like every business/agency...has their ups (no pun intended) and downs but overall they're amazing!! The fact that I can send a letter across the country for only 68¢ and it's hand delivered is still mind blowing. Compare our mail service to others in the world and we are by far the best...in volume, price, and ease of use. Still my preferred method for shipping. If someone wants to be super careful they can always use Registered Mail...slow but extremely secure.

Another hit for USPS, this past Monday I mailed a small package, just regular mail not priority, to Anchorage Alaska and then inland to Wasilla all the way from Painted Post NY, about 4,200 miles one way, and it's being delivered today, so that's pretty good speed I would say!
G2

Last edited:
Another hit for USPS, this past Monday I mailed a small package, just regular mail not priority, to Anchorage Alaska and then inland to Wasilla all the way from Painted Post NY, about 4,200 miles one way, and it's being delivered today, so that's pretty good speed I would say!
G2
Just ask our European friends about their postal service and you’ll have a better understanding that the USPS is the best.

G2

Speaking of Anchorage…I wonder why a package supposed to be delivered Wednesday the 5th when it was in Buffalo, an hour or so from my house, decided to hitch a ride a couple hours away to Rochester and then for a vacation to the other side of not one country, but two? Normally USPS is great but when this shit happens it’s really leaves me scratching my head how this is remotely possible.

IMG_1036.jpeg

It does cause you to wonder, I hazard that something was one off when scanned or some lane changing conveyor zigged when it should have zagged, but considering all the packages they handle a day, I still think they do a really good job.
G2

Lately the mail seems to be a tad off, one package that was coming from FL to upstate NY took a sideways trip out to North Dakota for some reason, it finally did arrive just a little late.
and now one from VA went to NJ and instead of going to Rochester NY it flew out to Indiana for a spell and is sitting there still, shipped from KnifeCenter KnifeCenter so I would expect the package and label are easily read like always, but somewhere along the line it took a detour.

But, it is certainly cheaper and faster than if I tried to deliver it myself ;)
G2

We are fortunate to have a great usps team in our area and the shipment tracking meets my simple expectations. When I purchase a knife I prefer it be sent usps because I know if it makes it to my little indiana town then I’ll get it. Ups and fedex do well locally but I really appreciate the convenience of usps tracking.

Lately the mail seems to be a tad off, one package that was coming from FL to upstate NY took a sideways trip out to North Dakota for some reason, it finally did arrive just a little late.
and now one from VA went to NJ and instead of going to Rochester NY it flew out to Indiana for a spell and is sitting there still, shipped from KnifeCenter KnifeCenter so I would expect the package and label are easily read like always, but somewhere along the line it took a detour.

But, it is certainly cheaper and faster than if I tried to deliver it myself ;)
G2
If your knife is sitting in Indianapolis then mine could also be on the same plane lol

Zactly where it is, traveled from NJ to there instead of north? seemed pretty odd, I'm guessing it'll be Tuesday before it arrives.
Good luck with yours!
G2

If it was an international shipment then maybe that is a factor? As far as me being in indiana if my package hits Indianapolis then next day is usually when delivery is. Hope yours makes it to you with no issues! Also unrelated to your post I need to learn how you add lanyards to knives because I have a couple I would like to add one to and I feel like you’ve added content out there for such an occasion.

I'm always available to help folks out by tying on a lanyard with a bead of mine or theirs, you can PM me any time about that, but, we also have a very nice thread that has a lot of examples of lanyards as well as a few tutorials salted in and amongst the post Seen in this thread here

G2

.If I have a usps package go anywhere near Atlanta it seemed to bounce around there for two or three days before leaving to come to Florida.

Back