USS Idaho (SSN 799)

I just came across this article about the upcoming christening of the USS Idaho (SSN 799). According to the article, Buck will be donating commemorative knives to the entire crew! I wonder what model it will be? The 110 would be very traditional, but I kind of hope it's the 112, which (according to legend) was inspired by a couple of sailors (but surface sailors, though šŸ¤Ø).

53557104934_1c32904625_b.jpg

112 slim pro, much lighter to carry. Would knives like that be restricted on a ship or boat? Wait, I was told this, a submarine is a boat and a surface vessel is a ship.if I have it correct.

Edited.

Knives were not restricted on my ship in the mid '80s, 1983-1987. I was on a surface ship though. I don't know what restrictions, if any, subs have.
Traditionally, ships are over 100' long; while boats are smaller. However, subs are considered to be a boat. There are other differences also.

Submariners probably have knife type and blade length restrictions for the same reason not a lot tankers had big folders or fixed-blades on their belts - crowded work areas.
When you're climbing in and out of the loader's, driver's or TC's hatch all day you don't hang a bunch of stuff off your belt.
Almost every tanker tends to carry a Leatherman and some do have fixed blades but they're on their LBV or plate carrier which isn't worn in the tank.
I carried a Leatherman and a 110 on my belt with no issues, with a personally-engraved M7 Bayonet my father had bought me strapped to my LBV for non-tank missions.
And if you were a tanker in the Ready First in 1AD in the 90s and 00s you went on a *lot* of "non-tank" missions in the Balkans and eastern Europe.
A fixed-blade knife is very useful for keeping someone pinned against a wall during a raid when you also have to cover down on something else. They also tend to feel it more than just a gun barrel.
Later on the 110 was switched out with a ZT 0305, of which I still have the one I used overseas in the active shooter kit in my vehicle. That damn thing is nigh on indestructible.

Fun fact: When the first Gerber multitools came out, a bunch of us went and bought them only to find that whatever process was used on the pliers on the first runs of those things was boned-up and the pliers would break.
Everyone quickly went back to Leatherman because their pliers weren't that prone to breaking.

Anybody know what happened with this? She was christened last month, in Groton, CT. to a small, sold out crowd. I had read that aside from crew knives, there would be commemoratives for sale to the public. Nothing in the "ships store" on their website. Anybody seen what these knives ended up looking like?

Anybody know what happened with this? She was christened last month, in Groton, CT. to a small, sold out crowd. I had read that aside from crew knives, there would be commemoratives for sale to the public. Nothing in the "ships store" on their website. Anybody seen what these knives ended up looking like?

Anything in video?

Back