Vagnino P-38 EDC thoughts

Well, I did it. Got my P-38. It is neither an airplane, nor a can opener.
My regular EDC is a Para2, but I needed something smaller, for those times when you just need something smaller. And titanium. I have a Sage1, and it is very nice. While the weight is great, it isn't really all that small.
I assumed for quite some time that a small Sebenza was my destiny. But each time I tried it, I just couldn't love it. I have big, somehwat clumsy hands. The ergos on the 'benza are just so-so for me. I had trouble deploying it, and closing it back up is not a sure thing. So each time I went to my LKS that carries 'em, I tried it out. And each time, I left empty handed.
I thought I was going to get a Chaparral Ti or a Techno. Then I found Michael Vagnino's P-38 EDC for what I feel was a very fair price at one of my favorite dealers. So I snapped it up.
Titanium framelock with S35VN blade steel.
On my analog calipers, I measured 6.4" max OAL, and 3.75" closed, with a 2.63" blade and 2.32" (linear) cutting edge. The handle is .36" thick. I measured a spine thickness of .124", and a maximum closed width of 1.27". So it's pretty small - the smallest OHO in my stable. I don't have a decent scale, but my dealer told me it's just over 3oz, and it hit 3.1 on the scale at my local make-your-own-froyo spot. Unlike my Sage1 and Para2, which are really never any trouble for me to carry, the P-38 just disappears in my pocket.

This little guy just exudes quality. The handle and backspacer match perfectly. In one of the shots below it looks like there's a gap, but it's an effect of the lighting. This thing is perfect. It's smooth to the touch, but not slippery. Very similar to the Sebenza in that regard. Opens smooth like glass. It isn't broken in, and my fingers are klutzy, so occasionally It takes me two steps or a little wrist action to "flick" it open, but it's easy as pie to slide open in one smooth, fluid motion. I am confident that will get better with time. Access to the thumb stud is plentiful without being excessive, it sticks out enough to use, but not enough to catch or snag. Plus, it's a very smooth cylinder. Very well thought out and executed, in my opinion.

I'm not sure if the lockbar is carbidized or just cut and unfinished, but the business end doesn't look like the rest of the scale. Lockup on mine is a solid, wobble-free 50% every time. No bladeplay in any direction.

Michael talks about the aggressive thumb ramp for purchase. He isn't kidding. The shape is just right. The jimping is straight and true, but perfect half-circle grooves and flat tops. It's trimmed just enough to not snag your pants or hurt you, but when I absentmindedly pressed down on it to make a cut, I could feel it press into my flesh. Again, executed to perfection.

The detent is strong enough to allow flicking (I think I'm learning the technique now) but not so strong as to make opening a chore. Blade centering is spot-on. It doesn't look like there's enough clearance there for it to pass through, but it does not touch. Talk about tight tolerance! Also, I'm not sure if the torx screws are cut to size or merely ground down with the scale, but they're flat, fit perfectly, and the shiny ends offset the matte scales nicely.

There is one tiny nick on the scale, but I'm sure that happened sometime after leaving his shop and is not a manufacturing defect. It's barely noticeable, and I'm going to carry this RFP with some keys, so I'm certainly not going to worry about it.

I'm not much of a pocket clip user, but when I am I prefer tip-up. On this one it aids purchase and doesn't get in the way, so it's staying on. Brand new, it is two-hand tight to get on my pants, but a breeze to unclip and use.

The grinds are even and tasteful, with just a hint of a swedge. Nice round spear/drop-point with a good amount of belly. And the edge easily shaves hair and slices paper.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and am grateful that makers like Michael Vagnino are around to give people like me options when the highly recommended standard bearers don't seem to do the trick. I'm not going to knock CRK or try to invalidate your Sebenza purchases - it's a great knife, and is considered ideal by a lot of people more knowledgeable than myself. I will tell you, if you want a small titanium framelock but that one just doesn't do the trick for you, or if you're looking for something just a bit different, track down a P-38 EDC. A very well designed, expertly executed small EDC blade.

Thank you, Michael.

P38_Open_zpsaa0b4b7d.jpg

P38_Closed_zps769703f5.jpg

TitaniumGoodness_zpse70b2d3e.jpg

- Tom

Last edited:
Great review man!
Thanks for all the details. I already wanted one from Michael's post and you just turned up the flame.

None of the screws on either of my knives protrude. He builds a very smooth operating knife, the non cutting edges are nicely beveled. I need to get him to build me another one :)

Last edited:
+1 on tj's review. This is a really well designed, purposeful tool, and beautifully executed. Michael's P-38 has great ergos, but I think it's truer to say it disappears in the pocket but finds my hand. It's very forgiving about position and operates so smoothly it's still a pleasant surprise each time I open it. It has great functional economy - not a thing wasted but everything you need.

tjs, what a nice review. I'm so happy when I know you guys appreciate what I do. I have made the P-38 for over 10 yrs. Mostly as a custom. I thought it was time to turn it into a frame lock EDC. This just confirms that I made the right decision.
Buddy, I'm glade your liking yours so much.
Balance, I've got one with your name on it waiting for you at blade. LOL
JB we'll talk knives when you come by the booth.

Thanks again for all your support.

Michael

Great review!
Michael, you certainly did make the right decision to turn the p-38 into a frame lock edc, I thought you hadn't made these in a long time... and it's been on my want list for a while too.
Now that I read this post I'll be after one like a hound-dog, let me know if you would be willing to make me one too.
Enjoy and have fun at blade show everyone! Wish I could be there too.

Michael,
I'm so glad you turned it into a frame lock.
You're fabulous work has gotten me addicted to crafted, custom titanium.

Back