What Angle on Mora Bushcraft Black Knife

I would like to use my WorkSharp Ken Onion to sharpen my old Mora Bushcraft Black.

I see from an article by Mora that:

Blades thicker than 2.5 mm usually have a total edge angle of 27 degrees, about 13.5 degrees per side.

Would 27 be the correct angle to use on the WorkSharp even though it will put on a convex edge not scandi?

Thanks!

Close enough for government work. You can always try it and decide for yourself. I might try a bit shallower of an angle since the apex will be a bit blunter on the convex grind.

I would not use the Ken Onion on a scandi. If I set the Ken Onion at 15 degrees, I get an angle of about 20 degrees near the apex and about 10 degrees near the top of the bevel. This sort of averages out to 15 degrees, but it is far from a scandi grind at 15 degrees, and even farther from a scandi at 13.5.

I would like to use my WorkSharp Ken Onion to sharpen my old Mora Bushcraft Black.

I see from an article by Mora that:

Would 27 be the correct angle to use on the WorkSharp even though it will put on a convex edge not scandi?

Thanks!
I bought the WorkSharp back when it first came out. The demonstration videos looked so good and it looked like the best sharpener out there. That is till I used it! I was doing just like I seen on the videos and it ate my knife blade up so fast. And the knife was like the Benchmade AFO auto. I took another just like knife again to the sharpener and same results. I don’t know maybe it was just me but I was so disappointed that the WorkSharp hit the back of the drawer so fast. So if you haven’t tested it yet I'd use extreme caution and start with the cheapest knife you have. And if you have used it could you please let me know your results. Thanks

I bought the WorkSharp back when it first came out. The demonstration videos looked so good and it looked like the best sharpener out there. That is till I used it! I was doing just like I seen on the videos and it ate my knife blade up so fast. And the knife was like the Benchmade AFO auto. I took another just like knife again to the sharpener and same results. I don’t know maybe it was just me but I was so disappointed that the WorkSharp hit the back of the drawer so fast. And if you have used it could you please let me know your results.

I have used a Ken Onion extensively on machetes and kitchen knives and never had a problem with it. Eating up a blade could be caused by:
* Too coarse a belt
* Too fast a speed
* Too much time
I have an AFO II having 154CM steel, which is fairly soft. I would not use a coarse belt on it except for serious reprofiling. For a normally dull AFO II, I would start with the medium grit on low speed (always low speed except for the coarse belt) and check for a burr after each pass through the sharpener. It might take several passes to get a burr, maybe 5 or 10 per side if the blade is really dull.

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate the info. I agree with you on that. I’m now using it to sharpen scissors and kitchen knives.

Back