What thickness blade do you prefer?

Mitchell Knives

Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've made knives from stock ranging from 1/16" to 1/4" depending on the model, intended use and customer requests. All are capable of making a fantastic cutter (within reason) if the edge geometry is highly optimized.

I'll probably be ordering more steel soon, and was wondering what thickness stock most of you would prefer.

I'm partial to 1/8", as it represents the best "all around use" thickness IMO.

Any thoughts on preferred thickness?

I have come to prefer 3/32 and if I could find some knives in it, I believe I could be quite happy with 1/16". 3/32 is plenty sturdy unless your Noss :D

God bless,
Adam

I almost have your 3/32" Pocket Dashi complete! LOL! It's going to be awesome!

1/16" is great, but you're basically limited to a full flat grind due to the thickness unless you chisel hollow grind it. A double hollow grind on stock this thin is tough.

3/32" is a good thickness as well. I've been considering making a few new designs in this thickness. I keep getting requests for Nessmuks, and 3/32" would be ideal for this kind of blade.

I have come to prefer 3/32 and if I could find some knives in it, I believe I could be quite happy with 1/16". 3/32 is plenty sturdy unless your Noss :D

God bless,
Adam

Johnathan, you know what I'm gonna say....it depends on application. I find for me I like the extra heft of 1/4" on large blades like your wakizashi and large fighters, but the 1/8" XL Soothsayer gets the EDC spot due to weight and size constraints. I do like 1/4" even in medium knives such as your Vertigo, because I'm confident I could stick it thru a car door or cut open 55 gal drums all day, but the heft on it is more noticeable if not strapped to my gear, as opposed to the lighter 1/8" XL Soothsayer. All this to say, unless you beat the crap out of your knives and abuse them, 1/8" is a great all around size in my opinion. Now for your neck knives, you have converted me to thin titanium all the way.

Thanks for the input Mark!

I figured most people would be fine with 1/8" for just about every thing. I've been playing around with some .06", and it cuts like a laser!

Some people do request thick blades, but it gets to be problamatic trying to keep steel in various thicknesses in stock.

I'll still keep making swords in 1/4", but will probably stick with 1/8" for everything except large fighters. (Like your recurves.)

I'm also considering going with CPM154, A2 and Ti from now on. I've been really pleased with how they finish and perform.

Johnathan, you know what I'm gonna say....it depends on application. I find for me I like the extra heft of 1/4" on large blades like your wakizashi and large fighters, but the 1/8" XL Soothsayer gets the EDC spot due to weight and size constraints. I do like 1/4" even in medium knives such as your Vertigo, because I'm confident I could stick it thru a car door or cut open 55 gal drums all day, but the heft on it is more noticeable if not strapped to my gear, as opposed to the lighter 1/8" XL Soothsayer. All this to say, unless you beat the crap out of your knives and abuse them, 1/8" is a great all around size in my opinion. Now for your neck knives, you have converted me to thin titanium all the way.

My favorite is a 1/4" 6.5" blade very high convex sabre. Its my perfect knife. Sharpened prybar yet slices like the Dickens. But that's just me.

I think you hit an outstanding trifecta with those choices! I'm a huge fan of CPM154, A2 and Ti.

Do you think that 0.06" would make a good neck knife? Or are we talking scalpels?

As for stocking thickness, good luck with that brother! All I know is those recurves are BAD!!!

Thanks for the input Mark!

I figured most people would be fine with 1/8" for just about every thing. I've been playing around with some .06", and it cuts like a laser!

Some people do request thick blades, but it gets to be problamatic trying to keep steel in various thicknesses in stock.

I'll still keep making swords in 1/4", but will probably stick with 1/8" for everything except large fighters. (Like your recurves.)

I'm also considering going with CPM154, A2 and Ti from now on. I've been really pleased with how they finish and perform.

I think those 3 will cover most bases. Perhaps the occasional 5160 or 3V for choppers and large swords!

.06" will do most anything a knife is typically used for with the exception of chopping, etc. I would feel fine carrying it for EDC or defense. A quality chef knife is usually around this thickness.

I actually made a few neck knives a while back from .06" S30V. VERY sharp, and almost as light as a titanium blade. S30V doesn't finish all that well, so I'd probably go with CPM154 next time.

I think I have an extra one laying around, so shoot me an email and I'll send it your way free of charge.

Blades of this thickness are surprisingly stiff (unless you are talking about really large blades), and not overly flexible like a fillet knife.

I may do a run of EDC and kitchen blades in this thickness.

I think you hit an outstanding trifecta with those choices! I'm a huge fan of CPM154, A2 and Ti.

Do you think that 0.06" would make a good neck knife? Or are we talking scalpels?

As for stocking thickness, good luck with that brother! All I know is those recurves are BAD!!!

I think you are too kind Johnathan!!!!!!

The occasional 5160 or 3V would be sweet, especially if it's gonna be that 'hawk you mentioned before. I have one in 5160 that I'd trust my life on, period. Good stuff there.

That's cool you will be doing kitchen knives, my better half has been bugging me for some new knives so this will be great! You are a man of many talents!

An EDC and a kitchen run.......hmmmmmmmm sounds interesting enough to get my ears perked up... however, I'm partial to the Ti and cpm154 blades.. they haven't let me down yet!! I sure could use a few new additions to my new Mitchell custom i got my hands on yesterday ... just saying Johnathan :D

I almost have your 3/32" Pocket Dashi complete! LOL! It's going to be awesome!

Looking forward to that 3/32 Dashi. I may bother you for a 1/16 one day if your up for it, but first I want to try out the knife in general.

Thanks and God bless,
Adam

Back