What you need to know if you use ivory for knives, or buy, sell knives with ivory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mammoth ivory looks very white in photographs, It's a photography thing. If you put elephant next to it the camera would automatically pick it as the lightest color and assign it the lightest value. It also has to do with length of exposure.

You are right, they can't make a decision on visual, but they can use common sense. If elephant ivory is selling for a $1,000.00 a pound in China, no one is going to smuggle it into the US for one tenth of that. Despite all we've heard, there was never a huge problem of illicit elephant ivory coming into the US. Out of 98 countries studied, the US ranked the lowest for illicit ivory smuggling and the highest in illicit ivory prevention, according to multiple studies by CITES.

If you look at the Northwoods folder releases in Mammoth you'll see some unexpectedly white covers.

They can't make a decision on a visual. There has to be some sort of repeatable non-destructive test. Maybe there will be some day. If anyone knows someone in a University with the right scientific credentials figuring that out would get them in the history books.

I like mammoth but I'll give up that like for the greater good and I also have no problems with the poachers getting shot in the face or eaten by lions. There's not enough of that going on right now though.

Mammoth ivory looks very white in photographs, It's a photography thing. If you put elephant next to it the camera would automatically pick it as the lightest color and assign it the lightest value. It also has to do with lighting and length of exposure.

You are right, they can't make a decision on visual, but they can use common sense. If elephant ivory is selling for a $1,000.00 a pound in China, no one is going to smuggle it into the US for one tenth of that. Despite all we've heard, there was never a huge problem of illicit elephant ivory coming into the US. Out of 98 countries studied, the US ranked the lowest for illicit ivory smuggling (in a graph, we fell below the lowest category, literally off the chart on the low end) and the highest in illicit ivory prevention, according to multiple studies by CITES.

It has to more with political trends and fund raising for animal protectionist groups than it has to do with reality.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mark Knapp JS
Custom Knives Fairbanks, Alaska
907-452-7477
www.markknappcustomknives.com

Last edited:
I had a chance to buy a pair of 1911 grips made of elephant ivory with bark on it a very long time ago. I went back a week or 2 to get them but they were gone. The story of my life. They looked and felt super. Of course elephants are very intelligent animals, and we should protect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back