• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

When did DLT begin to charge sales tax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharp_edge

Gold Member
I was browsing Hinderer Eklipse today and when I was about to check out I saw nearly $30 sales tax added to an Eklipse. When did DLT begin to charge the sales tax? Does RHK official site charge the tax too (never bought there before)?

It might depend on the state they ship to ? DLT has always charged sales tax for me (CA). I think they are legally required, but Jordan can confirm.

I don't want to comment on shops that do not charge sales tax, but I appreciate them.

It never charged any sales tax on me before (and I bought a lot from DLT), and hence my question.

No sales tax on my last order 11/20/23.
I’m in Jersey.

Businesses are required to follow federal, state and local laws. It wouldn't be particularly prudent for any company to come forward and say publicly that they ignore that civic and legal responsibility. (This is a generic statement, not addressed toward DLT or any other dealer.)

^^^ like.

sharp_edge sharp_edge - I browsed around a bit … it’s indeed a state issue and complicated. For example, for NY State:

New York considers sellers to have sales tax nexus if they meet either physical presence or economic nexus thresholds:
  • Physical presence nexus: having property, employees, inventory, etc. in NY
  • Economic nexus: $500,000+ in sales or 100+ transactions in NY (established January 2019)
Maybe DLT met the nexus threshold for your state for the first time last year ?

Note that I’m not a tax attorney and I don’t play one on TV either :)

I placed dozens of orders with DLT during 2023 and was not charged sales tax for that entire year. I do not reside in the same state as DLT. Then all of a sudden the first order this year in January 2024, sales tax was charged. I must have missed the memo, because that took me by surprise. That is when I started looking elsewhere and only shop DLT if they have an exclusive drop that is of interest.

I am really impressed with DLT's super fast shipping, selection, and service, but you can buy another knife for the amount you have to pay in sales taxes for large purchases. Plus I can just walk into SMKW if I want to pay sales tax and get the item the same day.

Many of the small business mom and pop shops still do not charge sales tax if you do not live in their state, and one in particular told me they will continue that practice as long as they legally can for out of state sales.

Yah, it's starting to take on most sellers, as Blues Blues stated it's not something the dealers came up with, but a requirement that has to be followed.

My thread that was closed

G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back