When the stuff hits the fan, and it's time to bug out, I'm going to grab the Fallkniven A1

I think this is a very interesting topic for discussion. I probably have about 1,000 knives in my collection, many of which are fixed blades. But, when the stuff hits the fan, and it's time to bug out, I'm going to grab the Fallkniven A1 that I know I can trust with my life. It is the ole reliable knife that can do anything I need, as far as a cutting instrument is concerned. I'm not a big fan of batoning, but this knife is more than capable of that as well, if necessary. But, that's just me...

What about you? What's your go-to knife?

The A1 is one of my favs.

So much so that I had to buy the upgraded sheath.

jrHYulTh.jpg

vV7kuush.jpg

I need the upgraded sheath!

Its good but not perfect without some minor modding.

U'll need to file the edges of the areas shown in the picture on the inside of the sheath to avoid shaving on the kraton finger guard pulling the knife out.

When this has been done its more or less perfect IMO. No more button strap and the rattling is almost gone.

J58ounrh.png

The right tool for the job:

apuykyXh.jpg

Unrealistic fantasy.

I would rather not be stuck depending on a knife for survival in the first place. If you're in that situation, things are pretty bad and you are most likely not going to make it. Who wants to willing leave a perfectly good building and go outside in the elements where daily survival is a struggle? Where everything is work from the moment you wake up? No thanks! Not for me. I would not willingly choose that unless I had no other options, and even then I'd know that the most likely outcome is still going to be my untimely death regardless of the gear that I have.

We plan to cower "in place" ! :eek:

If you really ever need / gotta bug-out ...good luck with that .

Best : Move now , to wherever is , that you plan to go when ... 🤯

The victorinox rangergrip 87? 88?

A massive folding knife that is basically rust proof, I can conceal in my pocket open with one hand. Has screwdrivers and can openers and saws and stuff. Doesn't weigh a great deal.

And I can split wood.

Last edited:
Could do worse than this crew. I think I'd rather toss in an 8OT and my DEK1 for good measure. Probably my K390 Stretch. And my 3V Laredo Bowie. Kinda tough to leave behind my 2022 BF Bunny Knife... how heavy is a bug-out bag supposed to be?

20230812_162533.jpg

My Situation Has Turned Frightful knife would probably be my Barax machete, which is a neat name that combines Barong and Seax and was suggested by one of our fellow Bladeforums members a couple years ago when I asked for better name suggestions than what I was calling it (ie Barong Seax lol). This one has Suretouch and 15N20.

IMG_5018.jpeg
IMG_5017.jpeg
IMG_5016.jpeg
image.jpg

I guess people have different ideas of what may cause an urgent need to get out of the house quickly. Earthquakes also have the potential for a ‘bug out’ so I keep them ready with emergency goods. When at my cabin I keep one by the door for the same reason (as well as wildfires). I keep an SDFK in a go bag when not using it, and a Skrama 240 in another. I also have Spyderco folders in them. Water, jerky, lighter, hand warmers, change of clothes, paracord, goretex shell, gloves, flashlight, handgun/ammo, etc..

Unrealistic fantasy.

I would rather not be stuck depending on a knife for survival in the first place. If you're in that situation, things are pretty bad and you are most likely not going to make it. Who wants to willing leave a perfectly good building and go outside in the elements where daily survival is a struggle? Where everything is work from the moment you wake up? No thanks! Not for me. I would not willingly choose that unless I had no other options, and even then I'd know that the most likely outcome is still going to be my untimely death regardless of the gear that I have.
I hope you’re never in a situation where you have to leave. It ain’t always zombies or nuclear apocalypse. Sometimes it’s “mundane” shit like a flood, a tornado, a hurricane, a fire. Gonna sit there?…..

1706333949885.jpeg

If I have to GTFO, I’m grabbing one or both of these bare minimum.

1706334100273.jpeg

1706334003439.jpeg

I generally tend to think of "SHTF", as some more widespread situation, with a general breakdown in both the rule of law and normal commerce .

Don't want to be on the road then , obviously . Two old people, with 2 dogs and 3 cats . None used to travel . What a nightmare !

In some strictly local and temporary emergency , e.g. a raging forest firestorm, promising to overrun our home : then it's move quickly or burn ! 👨‍🚒

I hope you’re never in a situation where you have to leave. It ain’t always zombies or nuclear apocalypse. Sometimes it’s “mundane” shit like a flood, a tornado, a hurricane, a fire. Gonna sit there?…..

I've actually had to leave home more than once due to natural disaster and emergency situations. I have a couple of emergency bags and a bunch of extra gear "just in case". There's a GHB in my vehicle and a BOB near my door. They have knives and tools and spare clothing and other necessities such as rations and water filtration.

The last time I had to use one of those bags, do you know where I went? A hotel. The things that I actually used from my bag were the spare clothes and hygiene items. The knives and other tools didn't see any use at all.

The first ever time I had to bug out was due to an earthquake. Guess where I went? A relative's house.

Yes there are plenty of reasons to bug out. Yes you should always have some things on standby so that you can leave at a moment's notice and be confident of having your basic needs met.

No, you are probably not going to be surviving outdoors with your knife. If you are, then be real: things are dire and you're probably screwed at that point anyway.

I've actually had to leave home more than once due to natural disaster and emergency situations. I have a couple of emergency bags and a bunch of extra gear "just in case". There's a GHB in my vehicle and a BOB near my door. They have knives and tools and spare clothing and other necessities such as rations and water filtration.

The last time I had to use one of those bags, do you know where I went? A hotel. The things that I actually used from my bag were the spare clothes and hygiene items. The knives and other tools didn't see any use at all.

The first ever time I had to bug out was due to an earthquake. Guess where I went? A relative's house.

Yes there are plenty of reasons to bug out. Yes you should always have some things on standby so that you can leave at a moment's notice and be confident of having your basic needs met.

No, you are probably not going to be surviving outdoors with your knife. If you are, then be real: things are dire and you're probably screwed at that point anyway.
Yep. Might as well die. 🤷‍♂️

Do you think there might maybe ever come a time when you have to GTFO and won’t wind up in comfy surroundings and might actually want to live? And a knife might come in handy?

The a/c in your building might go out and it might make you uncomfortable enough that you wind up bugging out to Starbucks where the knife you remembered to bring would come in handy to slice the fine brie you brought with you so it doesn’t dry out?

I’ve had to grab shit and go. The knives I brought got used more than a few times.

1706343542345.gif

Back