When TSA takes your pocket knife

If you ever get a door security check, may sure to recheck any carry on bags. I had a door check once on the way back from France and the security lady mixed up the bags when putting them back. Without me noticing it, my brand new Victorinox Wine Master was dumped back in my carry bag and later taken by the main security. It surely pissed me off, but I learned a lesson. If it ever happens again, I'll make sure they have completed and returned everything to one type of bag before even beginning to check the other type.

He is from a town about an hour from me and everyone around here loves his sketches because his character is basically everyone's brother or cousin. Haha

I think it would be unlikely for someone to hijack an airplane with a knife. Now that everybody knows what the end result could be the wanna be hijacker would get stomped into the floor of the aisle.
My brother in law has his own saying- he says they should ask you when you check in if you have a knife and if you say you don't they should give you one to carry on the flight. Nobody would attempt to hijack an airplane with a knife if they knew that everybody on the airplane had a knife.
I do not fly very often and when I do I am very careful to check my luggage for anything that shouldn't be there. It can be a pain to travel with only carry-on and not have a knife at your destination. We even had trouble opening a food package one time. I've thought about finding TSA safe scissors to carry if there is such a thing.

Flew to costa rica for the holidays and had my rat 1 n 2 in my check in luggage. No problems at all. If I was only traveling with a carry on, i’d probably still check it in so I could pack a travel knife.

Haha funny.

I accidently brought a knife to the airport once. I was freaking out, as I was in line already. It was a rare bronze damascus sebnza regular.
I had to ship it to myself in a clear plastic shipping bag. I was certain it would be stolen.
About 5 weeks later I received it in the mail.

I wish they let people buy the confiscated knives from airports. Like $10 each.

Tangent but related.

A few years ago we traveled by air on vacation. I brought a large format (4x5) view camera and related geasr as carr-on luggage. A the security check point, I asked for a hand check ofg a factory sealed package of higher speed film. I expectyed that the TSA folks would wipe it and let it go. They wanted to look inside. I told them it was film and really didn;t weant the box opened. They insisted. I explained thast inside were two seled inner pasckages that absolutly could not be opened. They took it away for what I assumed would be a hand check in a darkened room. When I opened the now unseled bocx to losd film (a days later and huindreds of miles away) I found that the inner packaging had been opened. I shot s few sheets of film and hoped for the best.

When developed a month layer, I found that oth packages were exposed badly on the edges by half an inch and fogged overall.

A teeth-grinding bummer.

My wife accidentally brought a Microtech Mini Socom that I’d gifted her into TSA but thankfully she had enough time to mail it back. (They provided envelopes and postage that she could buy).
😅

I've thought about finding TSA safe scissors to carry if there is such a thing.

Well believe it or not, they allow scissors with up to a FOUR INCH BLADE! These are my airplane scissors, because I really like to be prepared. After security one half goes in each pocket. Better than a boxcutter…
7CC82461-1A23-40DD-AE50-D3229D41514F.jpeg
4EB4499C-CF8D-453A-BAFF-B4E7404D6DFB.png

Last edited:
I take a Milwaukee FastBack with me, remove the blade and buy a new one from a hardware store wherever I go. So far they have never had a problem with an empty fastback, but it's a matter of luck.

Tangent but related.

A few years ago we traveled by air on vacation. I brought a large format (4x5) view camera and related geasr as carr-on luggage. A the security check point, I asked for a hand check ofg a factory sealed package of higher speed film. I expectyed that the TSA folks would wipe it and let it go. They wanted to look inside. I told them it was film and really didn;t weant the box opened. They insisted. I explained thast inside were two seled inner pasckages that absolutly could not be opened. They took it away for what I assumed would be a hand check in a darkened room. When I opened the now unseled bocx to losd film (a days later and huindreds of miles away) I found that the inner packaging had been opened. I shot s few sheets of film and hoped for the best.

When developed a month layer, I found that oth packages were exposed badly on the edges by half an inch and fogged overall.

A teeth-grinding bummer.
I just flew a couple months ago and they made me take my CPAP machine out of it's padded case and put the pieces disassembled in the x-ray bin. I asked to put it back in the case after the guy looked at it. No. I asked for a separate bin for it to go through x-ray. No. My girlfriend right next to me put her CPAP case through with no issues. CPAP's are pretty expensive.

Of course, it came out of x-ray with stuff stacked on top of it. The guy had also obviously flagged me because I was pulled aside after I walked through x-ray and thoroughly frisked. My luggage was picked through thoroughly. The agents frisking me were amused at first, knowing that the guy was doing this because I questioned him. But, eventually they seemed to be embarrassed instead and sent me through. (I'm 68)

It's medical equipment, and I should have lodged a complaint, but I just wanted to get to my plane.

^^^

Don't know how it works.

Anybody know?

Maybe the forum could make some sort of big-Lot buy at auction and divy them out in a drawing . . .or something workable.

I think it would be unlikely for someone to hijack an airplane with a knife. Now that everybody knows what the end result could be the wanna be hijacker would get stomped into the floor of the aisle.
My brother in law has his own saying- he says they should ask you when you check in if you have a knife and if you say you don't they should give you one to carry on the flight. Nobody would attempt to hijack an airplane with a knife if they knew that everybody on the airplane had a knife.
I do not fly very often and when I do I am very careful to check my luggage for anything that shouldn't be there. It can be a pain to travel with only carry-on and not have a knife at your destination. We even had trouble opening a food package one time. I've thought about finding TSA safe scissors to carry if there is such a thing.
Trauma shears?

They can be bought but I'm not sure the way to do that. I think I've seen lots of them on ebay. I suspect that the officers pick through them and keep the good ones, then sell the junk in batches.
We have a government auction site called pickles. That do that kind of stuff. I imagine somewhere there is similar for you.

They can be bought but I'm not sure the way to do that. I think I've seen lots of them on ebay. I suspect that the officers pick through them and keep the good ones, then sell the junk in batches.
Govdeals.com has giant lots of them and a few package deals of branded ones.

Once properly vetted, a law abiding citizen should treated life an adult.
I respectfully disagree. It implies that there is some objective group that has authority, and enough good sense, to vett the citizenry. Not trying to be cute here. I think the premise is incorrect.

I respectfully disagree. It implies that there is some objective group that has authority, and enough good sense, to vett the citizenry. Not trying to be cute here. I think the premise is incorrect.
I used to work pub's.

Adults need to be supervised. Sorry.

I used to work pub's.

Adults need to be supervised. Sorry.
Do you mean "pubs" as in the plural of a pub? If you do, that's a different story. There's alcohol, and it's private property, and the bartender is the law and it's his job to keep the peace.

The idea of "supervising" which is the word you used implies a hierarchy. And (now I'm really speculating) if you say "pub" and not "bar" then I'm guessing you're English, and in that case I can see how you have a hierarchical view of things. The commoner has to be kept in line by his betters, or the king/sovereign, or something like that, right? But in the states, the whole reason for the kerfuffle back in 1776 was the idea that the individual is sovereign, and no man is fit to rule over another.

Now, ask me how the American Experiment is *actually* going and that's a whole conversation we could have over a pint sometime. :)

Back