Who Like Single Blade Slip Joints?

Obviously most of the classic slip joints are multiblades, but I think that a really nice single blade slip joint makes for a great EDC. One really great one blade slip that I had was made by BucK back in the 80's. It had wood or micarta scales and double silver nickel bolsters. I can't find one anymore. Another great single bladeslip joint that I like is my Queen/Schatt & Morgan "Stabber Jack" with a fat spearpoint blade with a swedge and jigged bone scales. Imagine a slipjoint Spyderco Native and you will see this knife. Another Schatt&Morgan/Queen single blade that has recently caught my eye is their "cotton knife" from their 1995 collection. It has great stag, they are available from A.G. Russell. My absolute favorite single blade slipjoint is a custom I just picked up from Bailey Bradshaw, it was the pearl handled single blade stockman that he advertised a few weeks ago. It is amazing, it has the most easy yet firm backspring I have ever handled. I don't know how he does it. I guess that's why he is a master smith and I'm just a collector. Who else likes single blades?

While I don't have any, yet, I do like the single blade slim trapper design. Trappers have comfortable handle shapes, but there is always one of the blades in the way.

Also, my Step-Dad carried a Case Sodbuster when we had our excavation business, and I always liked using it. Good ergonomics, you could close the blade without having to worry about un-locking the blade to close it when you're in a hurry. Very handy when cutting plastic field tile to length before dirt or stone gets dumped on it.

recently.. i got to restore the last slipjoint clyde fisher
made before he died.. its all done excecpt waiting on the
buffalo bone to arrive for new scales..( clydes eyesight wasnt
too good from what i can tell at the end..) any way..doing this
knife has reminded me of all the single blades i had hanging
around the ranch in the summers as a kid with the granddad..
so..im ive started to build a few slipjoint customs just out
of wanting to have a few..havnt finished them yet..but ill
prob toss the tactical and start carrying bone when
ones done..its just brings out memmories of the
days past i guess.. well..later..dm

I also like the Case Sodbuster Jr with the yellow scales. I looks cool and old-timey all at the same time.

Allen.

When it comes to one bladed SJ's it's hard to beat a large "toothpick". I picked up a "California Toothpick" by Buck from SMKW a year or so ago. Long, slim blade works great cutting fruit and cheese or cleaning trout.

GronK

For me, a slipjoint must have multiple blades. Dunno why, but I just don't go for most single bladed slipjoints. I do like a folding hunter (not the 110 style, but a true folding hunter SJ).

Chris

I have to second the single blade trapper. I have a low cost custom ($150) from Gary Crowder in 154CM and micarta that is a mini trapper single blade. I also second the toothpick. I have a Queen toothpick and a mint Case XX toothpick. Another great single blade pattern is the bowtie. This is the one with fingerguards in the bolster; the only example of this that I have is a cheap old Imperial.

Anthony, I have hesitated for a long time to ask the same question.
Some of my favourites are single blade designes. They are Hungarian clasp knives, some of them resembling the German copperhead models and some have handle shapes more like the serpentine stock's one. The copperhead-likes have bolsters which curve upwards and downwards at the bolster/scale connection to form comfortable fingerguards. You can see the photo of one - quite ugly and poorly executed - example in the 4th edition of Mr. Levine's Guide.
Some have large, straight handles.
The typical scale materials are either cattle horn, red deer stag, walnut or cherry wood. I was told, that in the past, the most desirable handle material was the mother of pearl. While wisiting a few cutlery shops a few years ago in Hungary, I could not see a single true mother of pearl handled knife, anly plastic (celluloid?) imitations.
All those knives are about 4 1/2" large, with strong to very strong backsprings, and clip point or California clip point shaped blades. They are a bit heavy for EDC.
I was told, these patterns were typical for the different parts of the country at the late 19th, early 20th century, and were used mainly by cowboys, horsemen, sheperds, farmers or coach/cabby drivers. But according to the shopkeepers, middle class people used them to no less extent. Some of the more "urban" models resemble the senator pen knives, only are much larger (4 to 4 1/2"), other are like the melon testers, but with shorter and wider spear point blades, two bolsters and natural scale materials.
The latter one, for some reason, was called the "Serbian" model.
I do not know too much about the traditional European patterns, but it will be interesting to learn more about them.
The English, German, French, Spanish and Italian knife patterns are quite well known, but there is not too much information available about the traditional knives used in Central and Eastern Europe.

Had a big Case one-bladed slipjoint which I carried for a number of years until I lost it somehow (it was a long time ago). Carbon steel steel blade, a great knife, about the size of a large CS Voyager (4" blade). I'd buy another in a minute.

All you one-bladers and sodbusters, check out the soon-coming-out Queen Country Cousin. Sodbuster,Jr. look-alike, red Delrin handle, D2 blade. I'll take two.

Here are a few larger single bladed slipjoints. The biggest ones are 5 1/2 inches closed. with 5 1/4" blades.
From right to left a coke bottle, Clasp (72 or bull dog pattern), large toothpick and barn door hinge toothpick.

Attachments

• bigslips.jpg
    bigslips.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 309
Gus, you manage to give us a peek at your collection in beautiful little snippets. Keep 'em coming. You are helping educate many here, as well as feed the fever. Nice knives by the way.
Sitting here in awe, Mongo

Another great sinlge bladed pattern is the single bladed doctor's knife. I only have one, a yellow handled chrome vandium Case.

Toothpicks Rule!
My Dad carried one when I was a kid. He's 93 now &
I'm still lookin for that knife ;)

I love Texas Ticklers, Barlows and some of the Fishtail Jacks that I have seen. My favorites are the single blade Barlows.

I love & carry a Big Daddy Barlow by Hoot Gibson! He makes one of the best slipjoints I have ever held!
jim

The toothpick pattern is great and french Laguiole knives are really elegant looking. For an EDC though I prefer at least 2 blades

Back