Who says size doesn't matter?

This topic is for general discussion. Its nice to know what others are doing with their knives, what works for them, and what people would like built to improve things. How much you would be willing to pay for that perfect tool.

Working knives over ten inches here please. Whoppa choppers, machetes and axes only. No light sabres that are impossible, and back your arguments up.

Here are some categories:

A)12-14 inch heavy weight.
B)12-14 inch light weight.
C)14-18 inch Medium weight.
D)Over 18 inch light weight.
E)Axes.

I'll start the ball roling.

12 1/2 inch hard wood machete. Capable of taking some real punishment at the sweet spot, but not too heavy that its incapable of doing lesser tasks. The thinner the blade stock the better but well stiff. Straight handled with a reverse curved bolo type blade.

For limbing out trees, so should be able to chop a five inch green hard woodish wood branch relatively easily with a couple of chops.

Something like my Blackjack Marauder II. Would pay $250-$400, but would jump at it at $150.

How about my Himilayan Imports UBE @ 18" oal?
This is one BIG choppin-momma
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington
0071.gif

In the same category, whatcha' think about my EDMF Bolo. This is the 12" version made from 3/16" L6 steel. There is also a 9" model and they are offered with several different handles. And the best part, you can order one of these for the paltry sum of $90 + shipping. Dale Sandberg offers some of the best users on the market for what are some of the best prices ever. Here's the pic.
View

This is one serious chopper! No, I don't have any connection with EDMF other than being a steady customer of their wares.
Charlie

[This message has been edited by HDCharlie (edited 04-11-2001).]

Good post!

I would love to see a bolo-inspired knife with a 12" blade. The blade would taper from 1/4" stock to 3/16" stock from the beginning to the end of the edge. The tang would be full with the tang extending to make a strong pommel. It would have a smoothe integral guard, a lanyard hole, and a recurve on the blade. The blade steel would be 5160 (or similar) that is case-hardened. RC 58-59 on the edge, and RC 50 on the spine. The handle would be canvas micarta with a pretty aggresive texture, like Busse's "diamond quilted micarta". The handle would have large, rounded handle scales which really filled the hand, giving a good grip.

I would be willing to pay $200 for this knife.

Back