Who Wants Buck to Release the 914 Woodcraft Knife Again?

I spend more time on BladeForums researching old posts than reading new ones. Even though David passed before I joined, when I read some of the 19,000 messages he posted, I feel like he is still here. I believe that the way he used his knives is similar to mine. Although I have not done it yet, David's modified 103 has inspired me to one day modify a 103 to suit my needs.

Hmm, what to do....

hZvJA8A.jpg

ZCbRuQ4.jpeg

Thanks GPyro GPyro , I've saved that pic of David's for reference. I'm going to noodle on it for a bit before trying. I think I'm going to do it by hand (which will be a massive pain) because I don't trust myself with the grinding equipment I have and don't want to move too fast.

At first glance, I don't think the 103 has enough material to look exactly like the 914 or Woodcraft, so I need to temper my expectations. I don't want to end up with a sloppy drop point or clip point either. I'll be glad if mine turns out like David's.

Regardless, it's going to move slow as the 103 is thicker than I anticipated.

Thanks GPyro GPyro , I've saved that pic of David's for reference. I'm going to noodle on it for a bit before trying. I think I'm going to do it by hand (which will be a massive pain) because I don't trust myself with the grinding equipment I have and don't want to move too fast.

At first glance, I don't think the 103 has enough material to look exactly like the 914 or Woodcraft, so I need to temper my expectations. I don't want to end up with a sloppy drop point or clip point either. I'll be glad if mine turns out like David's.

Regardless, it's going to move slow as the 103 is thicker than I anticipated.
I think David would approve of any attempt someone would make to modify a knife to make it their own.

He just seemed like that kind of guy.

I like the fact that this community still refers to him after these few years. As long as a person is remembered they never really die.
🙂

GPyro GPyro indeed. To be candid, I have not been very active on the Buck Forums as I never really had many of them. I got a 110 when I was 14 and used the absolute hell out of it for a couple of years before relegating it to the console of the ranch pickup. But, once I joined BF I always enjoyed reading David's posts and seeing pics of his Buck Knives in use. Now that I am venturing into Buck's offerings, and trying to modify them, I am once again glad to see posts from long-time members for inspiration.

oldmanwilly oldmanwilly I'd love to see progress pics if you do this, and I'm probably not the only one.

I've seen that photo of David Martin's modified 103 a few times. Did he post photos of the process, or just the finished knife?

Small update: I have a new respect for Buck's 420HC. A couple hours with a 60 grit diamond file and here is my progress:

gcud2Xh.jpeg

OlERP37.jpeg

Doesn't look like much now, but in person, the rounded hump is all but removed. It has been slow going.

U6NWs92.jpeg

The hump at the tip has been straightened out and looks more 914-ish to me. I basically filed down to the base of the swedge and cut a new swedge.

xvThxKd.jpeg

I like it much better now that it is pointier and has straight(er) edges. It's still in rough shape, and I am not yet finished, but I think I know where I want to remove more material - basically grind down to the base of the new swedge and cut another new swedge. Ideally I'll make a slightly more acute point and fully apex the swedge to aid in piercing and for use as a scraper.

xS0tF4a.jpeg

Last edited:
Small update: I have a new respect for Buck's 420HC. A couple hours with a 60 grit diamond file and here is my progress:

gcud2Xh.jpeg

OlERP37.jpeg

Doesn't look like much now, but in person, the rounded hump is all but removed. It has been slow going.

U6NWs92.jpeg

The hump at the tip has been straightened out and looks more 914-ish to me. I basically filed down to the base of the swedge and cut a new swedge.

xvThxKd.jpeg

I like it much better now that it is pointier and has straight(er) edges. It's still in rough shape, and I am not yet finished, but I think I know where I want to remove more material - basically grind down to the base of the new swedge and cut another new swedge. Ideally I'll make a slightly more acute point and fully apex the swedge to aid in piercing and for use as a scraper.

xS0tF4a.jpeg
lookin good so far.

Back