Who's going to the Knife Expo in Buena Park Tomorrow?

I went to the show yesterday and it was awesome. Parking was free; admission was only $6. I wound up buying a Busse Battle Mistress E from Mr. Andre Dumouchel, who had several in stock. Also, Mr. Duane Dwyer of Strider was there; they had several folders, as well as some customs. Obviously, there were a host of others there; but these two companies pique my interest over yhe rest, and fortunately they were both present.

I was there when the show opened and spent the entire day there. I wanted to visit with the Striderguys first, but they weren't even there yet! So I wandered around. The first table I went to was that of Richard Rogers. He had brought a few knives and his table was probably the most crowded. This was only a minute into the show and he had already sold most of his knives, including two sowbelly stockmen. He had a new model that was very cool. It was a bolster release lockback mechanism. He also had a jigged-bone toothpick, a two-bladed gunstock, and a checkered ebony single bladed gunstock. The bolster-release was MOP. I next visited with Bill Ruple, another slip-joint maker, and he had a few awesome splitback wharncliff whittlers. Wayne Watanabe was there with his Japanese-style tacticals. M. Vagnino had a few gent folders, but his best piece was a California-style Price Bowie. Michael Fong had a two-blade slip-joint trapper. I finally got to handle one of Jeff Hall's Bounty Hunter tactical folders. They were really cool. Actually, the main reason I went to the show was to get one of these, but they were already sold. Too slow! I went over to Murray Carter's table, and he had an assorment of his laminated steel knives, including a fish knife that I picked up. RW Clark was there with a few of his clay-tempered Japanese-style knives. The workmanship was prett awesome. A company representing Criswell swords was there. This was the first time I actually got to see the swords. They were pretty cool. For the money, they are probably the best buy in a handmade sword. TAD was there with a great assortment of tactical folders and straight knives. Jm Ferguson had a beautiful nickle damascus dagger. I don't remember the guy's name, but this Chinese guy had the most awesomest knife collection I've ever seen. Lovelesses, Morans, Ron Lake fixed blades. Finally, the the Striderguys showed up and people started crowding around their table. About this time, Bob Karp started his knife throwing demo. I had never met the man, and in his pictures, he always lokked like a mean dude. But he was actually pretty funny and had a great sense of humor. He and his assistant, another great knife thrower, wowed the audience with their knife throwing skills. There were many other makers, and I think I'll go back Sunday and look around some more. What did I pick up? The Carter fish knife, a Strider, one of Ruple's knives, and I would have picket up one of Richard Roger's and Jeff Hall's knives, but damn! Too damn slow!

What a day, my first real show. To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement. I saw so many cool knives I can't begin to describe them. RW Clark's knives were certainly cool with wild temper lines. The Watanabe knives were also amazing. The people, especially the makers were all very friendly and the assortment was so wildly varied. I was able to satiate all facets of my addiction. I bought a guard fitting fixture and some Wray skin to help with my amature knifemaking, bought some shappening tools to help my EDCs and finally added a Microtech to my small collection (Socom Elite, plain edge satin blade).

One maker stands out in my mind although i can't remember his name (too stupid to write it in my PDA) but his knives were amazing. He had done a blued damascus blade with a heard of Giraffes in the damascus and another blade had what appeared to be a party (you know, with dancing people and all) done in damascus. They were the most amazing damascus works I'd ever seen.

It was funny, I took a friend who never leaves home without a knife, but is not yet a knife knut. He recently retired a beat up old Spydie EDC and replaced it with a Benchmade BM940 Osborne in black with a BT treated blade. He was acting bored most of the day while I was having th etime of my life. Then after I had completed my last purchase, I said,"OK, let's hit it", and he comes back with, "waaait a minute, I have to go back and look at one more thing". Next thing I know he's buying a nice 6" Japanese style chef's knife from teh Seiki Cut table (the folks who OEM for AlMar). Real nice knife for $35.00. He might be hooked!

All in all a good day.

jmx

PS: Don't even get me started on teh collections of miniatures. Swiss Army knife copies under a half inch in length with functioning scissors! Truly amazing. If I wasn't hooked before, I sure am now.

Back