Winkler Knives - Maple vs Walnut

Doctorlock

Platinum Member
In regards to Winkler knives....What are the pros and cons for the maple and/or walnut scales?

Pick what you like, I'm partial to the sculpted maple, have a SD1 (pictured) and Blue Ridge Hunter both in sculpted maple, next Winkler I order the handle will be done in sculpted maple.

Yu0YAnl.jpg

In regards to Winkler knives....What are the pros and cons for the maple and/or walnut scales?
You get alot of lighter pattern with maple i would say. I love my Maple handled Tribal. At first I didn't like it, I don't know why I just didn't. After about 3 days of pondering it just called to me.

It really is just personal preference. I don't think you can go wrong with either; all of mine are maple. I tend to gravitate towards maple in sculpted and tribal. Below is a General and a Blue Ridge Hunter both in maple.

Attachments

• IMG_4228[44599].jpg
    IMG_4228[44599].jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4148[44412].jpg
    IMG_4148[44412].jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I think curly maple is the best looking handle material winkler has, I only regret not getting it on all my winklers. The only downside to micarta is that it is more likely to get dinged up in pocket carry but it still looks great. Even when curly maple wasn't available on the last winkler I ordered, I was able to call the seller (monkey edge knives) and they picked one out with a really nice striped pattern to send to me.

Looks like The General has the sharpening notch out of the box: https://www.mastgeneralstore.com/winkler-knives/the-general-knife-172586

I don't think you can go wrong with maple or walnut. I called Winkler Knives a few weeks ago and asked how the scales were attached, and they said some type of epoxy. It made me feel better, since the pins themselves appear to be synthetic. I think they are pretty durable knives, though I'm still kinda babying my Blue Ridge Hunter a bit. Need to stop that!

These days Henry is more of a wrinkler 😂 seriously though Winkler is some great stuff, had a case colab years ago my brother talked me out of it, love those hybrid leather sheaths.

...I called Winkler Knives a few weeks ago and asked how the scales were attached, and they said some type of epoxy. It made me feel better, since the pins themselves appear to be synthetic...
You got me thinking about the pins being synthetic, so after checking my Winklers with a magnet, I can verify that the pins are some type of ferrous metal. (most likely 80CrV2)

Last edited:
^ Interesting! Thanks for checking on that! I couldn't get any kind of magnetic signature from them, but then again, all I've got are big-honkin' magnets around the house that were picking up the blade tang through the maple on my BRH.

^ Interesting! Thanks for checking on that! I couldn't get any kind of magnetic signature from them, but then again, all I've got are big-honkin' magnets around the house that were picking up the blade tang through the maple on my BRH.
The ones on my SD1 are some sort of metal

Guy is a creative force for sure, I prefer the Maple. Is that unstabilized?

Back