Winner...And Still Heavyweight Champion...The Venerable Buck 110

bDeEOsv.jpg

xPQeJZU.jpg

My current stable of Buck 110’s. There would be another two dot in the mix but it went to live with a very special coworker. She always found an excuse to need it and when I left that department I gave it to her. ETA there’s one two dot in there with a 2015 blade in it that Buck put in for me and gave it the spa treatment. It still identifies as a two dot because that’s what it always was until I got it and sent it in to be rebuilt IMG_2490.jpeg

Last edited:
The 110 will always have a soft spot in my heart. Growing up my father had one in his car (we always think of the 110 as a knife for tradesmen and hunters but it was popular with just about everyone, from mechanics to suits). At at the humble age of 10 or so he took me to the local sporting good store to buy me one before a week long Boy Scout camp. While at the time I tended to opt for the convenience of carry of the SAKs I had at the time, that 110 was a staple whenever I found myself in the woods. camping trips, hikes, hunts, it was always there.

6 years of use and abuse later, it was put in the center console of my very first pickup and accompanied me on my many various misadventures.

In recent years I’ve swapped it out of my current truck in favor of a medium sized fixed blade (SRK) but the 110 lives on. Something I’ve noticed was even with all the modern super steel folders out there, you’ll still find 110s on the belts of bikers regularly. A number of the guys I ride with still carry them (often in addition to a modern folder) which goes to show just how timeless the design really is. The 110 looks just as at home on a hunting trip as it does on a Harley. It’s just a well made, proven, classic knife.

The 110 will always have a soft spot in my heart. Growing up my father had one in his car (we always think of the 110 as a knife for tradesmen and hunters but it was popular with just about everyone, from mechanics to suits). At at the humble age of 10 or so he took me to the local sporting good store to buy me one before a week long Boy Scout camp. While at the time I tended to opt for the convenience of carry of the SAKs I had at the time, that 110 was a staple whenever I found myself in the woods. camping trips, hikes, hunts, it was always there.

6 years of use and abuse later, it was put in the center console of my very first pickup and accompanied me on my many various misadventures.

In recent years I’ve swapped it out of my current truck in favor of a medium sized fixed blade (SRK) but the 110 lives on. Something I’ve noticed was even with all the modern super steel folders out there, you’ll still find 110s on the belts of bikers regularly. A number of the guys I ride with still carry them (often in addition to a modern folder) which goes to show just how timeless the design really is. The 110 looks just as at home on a hunting trip as it does on a Harley. It’s just a well made, proven, classic knife.
Right on. I just can’t seem to get on with a modern folder. I work in a school so I don’t clip a knife to my pants. and I like carrying the same knife like I like the guns I carry to have the same kind of action. Theres something to be said about ritual and muscle memory. Modern folders are, for me, too thin and, to be honest, are too light… I like the heft. A clip hurts my hand when I am cutting. I like a simple steel that I can touch up and I like an Inexpensive knife that I won’t be too concerned about actually using and I can easily replace. Trying to find a modern folder with all the things I desire in a knife (easy steel to maintain, a strong lock, a comfortable handle, easy and inexpensive to replace when it falls overboard or is lost in the woods) is sometimes too stressful. As much as I can be knife-nutty (if somewhat frugal) at times, I keep falling back to a buck 110 and a SAK. At the end of the day I’m never without a 110 on me. it’s a simple and iconic no-frills workhorse of a knife.

Back