Would I have a legal problem if I have a espada xl shipped to me in nyc ?

Nyc's logic is so full of holes it's a darn shame. You've probably gotten your answer 100x over, I would not pick that model, NYC or not, that knife screams weapon. But if you are adamant on it, then I wouldn't brandish it or advertise its use in public unfortunately
Definitely thanks man

You're getting a lot of opinions, but while "carrying" is out of the question in NYC, possession within your home does not appear to be prohibited.
Which means it is legal to order from a vendor outside the city, and it is legal for them to sell it and send it to you.
However, different vendors have different policies.
The knife laws according to the New York City Police Dept:
Best course of action would be to ask the vendor if they will ship it to NY City.

2 questions:

When was the last time your house was searched by police?

When was the last time you were randomly frisked by police while out in public?

The answer to those questions should answer your question.

The 4th amendment of the constitution protects against random frisks. Officers must have reasonable articulable suspicion that criminal activity is afoot AND reasonable articulable suspicion that you may be presently armed and dangerous.

As far as the Espada goes… its an awesome knife and I have 3. G10 version of XL and L and the fancy version of the L.

I frequently carry the larges, but I am not in NYC

They are just awesome and ridiculous at the same time.

I think its something everyone should have in a collection!

I don't know. I doubt it but If you get caught carrying it I am fairly sure you are going to have a big problem.

Possession inside the home doesn't seem to be enforced. I think it can be enforced any time they wish.

It seems you can carry stuff like that to and from a fishing trip though I would strongly ponder if I would be pushing my luck with an Espada XL. A fishing license may be helpful.

Believe it or not the blade profile of the Espada XL is very useful for a wide variety of cutting tasks that have nothing to do with self defense.

Using the words Self Defense when talking about your knife or almost any object to a NYC law enforcement agent will get you arrested.

Last edited:
I don't know. I doubt it but If you get caught carrying it I am fairly sure you are going to have a big problem (Felony just to be clear.)

Possession inside the home doesn't seem to be enforced. I think it can be enforced any time they wish.

It seems you can carry stuff like that to and from a fishing trip though I would strongly ponder if I would be pushing my luck with an Espada XL. A fishing license may be helpful.

Believe it or not the blade profile of the Espada XL is very useful for a wide variety of cutting tasks that have nothing to do with self defense.

Using the words Self Defense when talking about your knife or almost any object to a NYC law enforcement agent will get you arrested.
Yikes!!!!

Btw, how do chefs get their knives back and to from work? Special permit?

I missed this thread before. NYC Admin code above is for public carrying. NYC lost most of its zeal for enforcement when the NYS gravity knife law was changed a few years back. True assisted openers have been determined to be "switchblades" by the NYS Court of Appeals ( highest court in NY), so there is a issue possible if it is a AO.
Titt, the part about "dangerous Knives" is a valid point. AOs per se are not illegal in NY but their determination to now be switchblades makes them limited to be owned legally. ( NYS PL 265.20#6 allows for owning and limited carry of a switchblades' for hunting, fishing and trapping with a valid license for those sports).
Best not to get the knife....

Last edited:
There is only ONE time knife possession is a Felony even thought everyone above seems to feel different. NYSPL 265.02 states that anyone convicted of crime and can be charged with NYSPL 265-01, the crime can be upgraded to a felony based on that past criminal conviction. NYC Admin Code is mostly violations ( not even a crime in NY) and low level misdemeanors. The most serious knife charge for a non criminal is a Class A misdemeanor which is the 265.01 ( CPW4) charge. The NYC code posted above states the maximum penalty is no more the 15 days in jail which is the definition of a violation.

Lol. No getting a knife shipped to your place in NYC will absolutely not get you in trouble. That is hilarious.
You can possess the knife in your home, nothing will come from it.
Now the moment you step outside your house with the knife in your hand, or even clipped to your pocket, the police can confiscate the knife, and will issue you a Criminal Court Summons, meaning you'd need to appear at a certain time and date at criminal court to answer for the crime. Nothing severe will come of it, but will stay on your record that you had gotten the summons.

Last edited:
Lol. No getting a knife shipped to your place in NYC will absolutely not get you in trouble. That is hilarious.
You can possess the knife in your home, nothing will come from it.
Now the moment you step outside your house with the knife in your hand, or even clipped to your pocket, the police can confiscate the knife, and will issue you a Criminal Court Summons, meaning you'd need to appear at a certain time and date at criminal court to answer for the crime. Nothing severe will come of it, but will stay on your record that you had gotten the summons.
This.

If you get it and just keep it in your home you're fine. Outside of the house not a good idea. On a normal day I doubt any LEO would notice it or waste the time. Now you get involved in a situation where you legally are detained and searched your gonna have issues. I'm speaking as a former LEO in NY. I never cared or wasted my time with knives unless it was involved in a crime.LEO has to have a reason to stop you and even ask for your ID. We have to tell you why we need your ID and what crime we think you committed. T

Back