Would you rather

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Go down a hill, up a hill, down a hill, up a hill, or up a hill, down a hill, up a hill, down a hill?

As an individual who has spent quite a few nights in the Grand Canyon, going down to start can be a real "suck it up" experience depending on how long the decent lasts and how fit one's down hill muscles are. Combine this with the agility needed while moving with gravity, which is a constantly encouraging force waiting to bring you quickly forward. The Grand Canyon is what opened my eyes to trekking/hiking poles, to save knees mainly while under pack weight going downhill for an entire day...

Uphill and then downhill, if I could choose...

The Grand Canyon is what opened my eyes to trekking/hiking poles, to save knees mainly while under pack weight going downhill for an entire day...
I presumed that I'd have my stick. There's no way I'm tackling a steep downhill without one. I don't even want the dog without mine, for an entirely different purpose at that point though.

With bad knees, I'd rather it all be level or a little uphill. Downhill - especially steep downhill - is rough.

That's a good point. I have good knees, and I still dislike walking downhill. Of course, if I had eyes on the back of my head or a rearview mirror I could just walk it backwards...

When I ride to the shop it is down a hill, up a hill, down a hill, up a hill. When I ride home it is the reverse. But the crosswind I usually deal with feels like a headwind in both directions.

When I ride to the shop it is down a hill, up a hill, down a hill, up a hill. When I ride home it is the reverse. But the crosswind I usually deal with feels like a headwind in both directions.
The last uphill push in the morning before you arrive to work, probably really stokes your inner forge right before making some knives.

Wind...probably a topic in need of it's own thread...

Back