Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

WqYiHHX.jpg

#488224 Tomato

Had lunch with my Dad today and he gave me several knives and some other odds and ends in a box. He's retired now and was cleaning up and sorting his study out. Had this for me.

It's a Case small splitback whittler and while the bolsters have had some time on them, the blades all still had (cruddy old) oil on them! The dots and logo say this is from 1978. Still snappy and the edges are quite sharp. Needs a good flushing, and then it's golden.

UN73N5c.jpeg

5XxHIvY.jpeg

YM5RkVl.jpeg

Had lunch with my Dad today and he gave me several knives and some other odds and ends in a box. He's retired now and was cleaning up and sorting his study out. Had this for me.

It's a Case small splitback whittler and while the bolsters have had some time on them, the blades all still had (cruddy old) oil on them! The dots and logo say this is from 1978. Still snappy and the edges are quite sharp. Needs a good flushing, and then it's golden.

UN73N5c.jpeg

5XxHIvY.jpeg

YM5RkVl.jpeg
That’s a cool little splitback. Congrats.

That's such a cool find! Congrats! Clean her up & give her some fresh oil, it's just begging for some quality pocket time! 😉

I received my Boker (not a Barlow) Barlow BFF a few days ago and figured I'd add a few comments, since there seems to be some interest in the knife, hopefully not just because its Barlow designation is rather dubious. It does share the same basic profile, but there the comparison ends.
I really like this little knife! Right around 6", with a sturdy AEB-L stainless drop point blade, and some really pretty walnut scales. The brass pins and lanyard tube are a nice touch. It comes with a well made leather pocket sheath with a clip. It fits well in my medium sized mitt. I can get 4 fingers on it, just barely. I will probably add a short leather fob to add some extra grip.
The blade arrived sharp, with nice grinds. I took it to a leather strop with chromium oxide, and had it shaving sharp in a matter of a few minutes.
I can see myself carrying this knife more often than any of the many small fixed blades I have. The knife wasn't cheap, but I think it's a well designed, very well made example of Boker's knife making capabilities.
I do wonder what the BFF stands for. I've come up with Burnley Fixed-blade Full-tang. If someone has seen it defined, or has a better idea, I'm curious.
A few pics.
1sMExfr.jpg

UXf1xaO.jpg

bpHrB7c.jpeg
BFF does not stand for this romantic idea of eternal friendship. Rather, "Barlow Frontpocket Fixed" should be meant here - at least this describes this compact fixed absolutely precisely.

This just arrived, swell center Case, about 3" closed so it will ride in my watch pocket

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

In oak I guess they had a tough time inlaying the medallion, doubt I could have done much better. But it is one of my favorite medallions that they use, very classy.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

I was thumbing through the May Issue of Blade Magazine and ran across an ad for this Rough Ryder Black Reserve Hawkeye Hawkbill knife. It is a solid knife with no gaps, chips, cracks, drips, runs, or errors. The joints are flush in the closed, half stop, and open positions with smooth transitions between handles and bolsters and centered blade. The pattern is a somewhat exaggerated swayback frame that allows for a lanyard hole. The jigged bone handles are well done with a well inletted shield. Like knives from China or not, this knife is very, very, very, nice. D2 blade steel is a plus too. The knife came in a nice box (not pictured) wrapped in a knife cloth enclosed in a tin tube. I like it so much that I've ordered another for a gift to my just born (last night) great granddaughter.

Back