Zwilling chips

I had quite a few Zwilling chef knives for sharpening. They all had small chips tin the edge. I at first thought the owners are not very careful but they all look so similar and besides that when you buy a Zwilling I guess you will be a bit more careful with it. Is it the steel? I read their hardening involves heating and then cooling to -70° C Is that making it somewhat brittle?
Any insights very welcomed.

I have had a few knives (not Zwilling per se) where the factory edge was subject to microchipping, but after a good sharpening session the problem went away. I chalked it up to the factory edge being a bit weakened by whatever process the factory uses for grinding, and once I got past that bit to the "good" steel it was fine.

One was a Zero Tolerance ZT-0566 in Elmax, the other (several) were some Shun Classics in VG-MAX. These were really not that noticeable to the naked eye but pretty obvious under a low-power loupe.

I do have one Zwilling kitchen knife (Zwilling Pro series) but I have not noticed any chipping with it, though I did sharpen it before first use. Or maybe I just haven't looked.

Back