Etching stainless

I want to etch stainless. 14C28N, N690, M398, S90V, MagnaCut. Are there any other solutions besides FC, like faster and better?

muriatic acid diluted 10:1

Muriatic acid is the friendly sounding commercial name for hydrochloric acid. It is powerful stuff. Just because anyone can walk into a hardware store in many parts of the work and buy it for less than $10 a gallon does not mean it is a harmless masonry cleaner. Heavy rubber gloves, plastic/rubber apron, face shield/goggles, respirator with proper dual-use cartridges are needed. Make sure you have 10 pounds of washing soda standing by, water hose to wash off skin and face if needed, cell phone to call 112 (Croatian equivalent to US 911).

It is nasty stuff and can corrode all the steel in your shop. Use it in a well-ventilated place outdoors wearing all the proper protective gear. Do not store it in the shop!!! If you don't believe me, put a bar of steel sitting next to a well capped bottle in a box and come back a month later. The bar will be covered with corrosion. What it does to flesh is horrible and can be life altering. Respect it and it is a useful chemical. Take it for granted and it can blind or disfigure you for life.

Well... a thinker.
Concentration?
Edit: found a few liters of 33%-er in my shop. Will that do?

Yes, 30-35% is the standard strength.
Try various dilutions from 1:1 to 5:1 (Water to HCL). ALWAYS add the acid to the water!!!

For working on a hamon, I use it at 100:1. I use a Q-tip to apply it to the hamon area to make it stand out. It isn't always the answer to a stubborn hamon, but works sometimes. It can get some nice frosty effects.

I had a sealed bottle of hydrochloric acid sitting in my shop for a year or two before I figured out that it was what caused everything to rust and for the aluminum fins to fall off the coil of the air conditioner!

acido muriatico diluito 10:1

L'acido muriatico è il nome commerciale dal suono amichevole dell'acido cloridrico. È roba potente. Solo perché chiunque può entrare in un negozio di ferramenta in molte parti del lavoro e acquistarlo per meno di $ 10 al gallone non significa che sia un detergente per muratura innocuo. Sono necessari guanti di gomma pesante, grembiule di plastica/gomma, visiera/occhiali protettivi, respiratore con cartucce a doppio uso adeguate. Assicurati di avere 10 libbre di bicarbonato di sodio a portata di mano, un tubo dell'acqua per lavare via la pelle e il viso se necessario, un cellulare per chiamare il 112 (equivalente croato al 911 americano).

È roba brutta e può corrodere tutto l'acciaio del tuo negozio. Usarlo in un luogo ben ventilato all'aperto indossando tutti gli indumenti protettivi adeguati. Non conservarlo nel negozio!!! Se non mi credi, metti una barra d'acciaio accanto a una bottiglia ben tappata in una scatola e torna un mese dopo. La barra sarà ricoperta di corrosione. Ciò che fa alla carne è orribile e può cambiare la vita. Rispettalo ed è una sostanza chimica utile. Datelo per scontato e può accecarvi o sfigurarvi per tutta la vita.

Back