Shiv. Shiv. Shiv.

Shiv in Australia...

IMG-2066.jpg

I bushwhacked into this remote old growth forest at night. The Shiv was a comforting companion.

IMG-2051.jpg
Excellent pics!

After a hard week, things took a great turn for the better this afternoon with the delivery of my Shiv pre-order.

I previously owned one the original Shivs and was always impressed with how fast and light it handled for such a big knife. The Shiv 2.0 is even more impressive to me upon first inspection. I love the new handle design with the taller pommel and additional side sculpting that really feels secure and maneuverable in hand without resorting to exaggerated finger grooves that many makers turn to at the expense of true ergonomics. Even though the 2.0 is slightly longer, thicker, and more substantial in the grip, it handles just as fast as I remember my old one.

When I pre-order a special knife, I tend to default to streaky Ironwood as my handle of choice. I decided to “branch out” with a different tree on this one. I have always admired Osage for the way it ages to a nice nutty brown that adds character over time. I have never owned anything with Osage before, so this seemed like the prefect platform to try it.

i-948wpbN-XL.jpg

i-nTshn94-XL.jpg

i-mMNm48R-XL.jpg

i-J3kTh6T-XL.jpg

i-rFzG6VQ-XL.jpg

i-P5mf4xm-XL.jpg

I opted for one of cpirtle cpirtle Chad Pirtle’s beautiful and functional leather masterpieces in black to provide contrast with the Osage.

i-g2CfG9J-XL.jpg

I confess that I am an extra scale set addict when it comes to CPK pre-orders. I have learned from experience that I will regret not doing it after the pre-order closes. In this case, I ordered a spare set of ECAM based on Nathan’s recommendation that it is the appropriate choice for this classic knife.

i-k8NwLd7-XL.jpg

I am glad I went with the Osage for my primary scale set. It won’t be the last time I use this handsome handle material.

i-kVj2Jcf-XL.jpg

i-q6TdhLx-XL.jpg

i-sJktptq-XL.jpg

Thank you Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist and Jo the Machinist Jo the Machinist for always setting the bar higher and then exceeding it with your designs, engineering, and execution in producing best in class knives.

Phil

After a hard week, things took a great turn for the better this afternoon with the delivery of my Shiv pre-order.

I previously owned one the original Shivs and was always impressed with how fast and light it handled for such a big knife. The Shiv 2.0 is even more impressive to me upon first inspection. I love the new handle design with the taller pommel and additional side sculpting that really feels secure and maneuverable in hand without resorting to exaggerated finger grooves that many makers turn to at the expense of true ergonomics. Even though the 2.0 is slightly longer, thicker, and more substantial in the grip, it handles just as fast as I remember my old one.

When I pre-order a special knife, I tend to default to streaky Ironwood as my handle of choice. I decided to “branch out” with a different tree on this one. I have always admired Osage for the way it ages to a nice nutty brown that adds character over time. I have never owned anything with Osage before, so this seemed like the prefect platform to try it.

i-948wpbN-XL.jpg

i-nTshn94-XL.jpg

i-mMNm48R-XL.jpg

i-J3kTh6T-XL.jpg

i-rFzG6VQ-XL.jpg

i-P5mf4xm-XL.jpg

I opted for one of cpirtle cpirtle Chad Pirtle’s beautiful and functional leather masterpieces in black to provide contrast with the Osage.

i-g2CfG9J-XL.jpg

I confess that I am an extra scale set addict when it comes to CPK pre-orders. I have learned from experience that I will regret not doing it after the pre-order closes. In this case, I ordered a spare set of ECAM based on Nathan’s recommendation that it is the appropriate choice for this classic knife.

i-k8NwLd7-XL.jpg

I am glad I went with the Osage for my primary scale set. It won’t be the last time I use this handsome handle material.

i-kVj2Jcf-XL.jpg

i-q6TdhLx-XL.jpg

i-sJktptq-XL.jpg

Thank you Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist and Jo the Machinist Jo the Machinist for always setting the bar higher and then exceeding it with your designs, engineering, and execution in producing best in class knives.

Phil
Screenshot_20240503_203600_Samsung Internet.jpg

i-948wpbN-XL.jpg

i-nTshn94-XL.jpg

i-mMNm48R-XL.jpg

i-J3kTh6T-XL.jpg

i-rFzG6VQ-XL.jpg

i-P5mf4xm-XL.jpg

i-g2CfG9J-XL.jpg

i-k8NwLd7-XL.jpg

i-kVj2Jcf-XL.jpg

i-q6TdhLx-XL.jpg

i-sJktptq-XL.jpg

Phil

Well done Phil! That Osage is stunning on that knife!

i-948wpbN-XL.jpg

i-nTshn94-XL.jpg

i-mMNm48R-XL.jpg

i-J3kTh6T-XL.jpg

i-rFzG6VQ-XL.jpg

i-P5mf4xm-XL.jpg

i-g2CfG9J-XL.jpg

i-k8NwLd7-XL.jpg

i-kVj2Jcf-XL.jpg

i-q6TdhLx-XL.jpg

i-sJktptq-XL.jpg

Phil

I thought that Nathan’s wood he was using for these was “Used tongue depressors” (or something close to that)? Lol.

Amazing choice on that Osage! IDK what it is about Nathan’s Osage for his scales that has that extra beautiful yellow look/Black contrast, more so than on other makers scales that I recall. Osage is nice on others, but his is beyond description!

Man that Shiv looks so amazing, heck of a choice and congrats! Going to be one heck of an emotional support Shiv! My Shiv is now immediately ugly lol, I am truly Jealous!!!

Last edited:

i-948wpbN-XL.jpg

i-nTshn94-XL.jpg

i-mMNm48R-XL.jpg

i-J3kTh6T-XL.jpg

i-rFzG6VQ-XL.jpg

i-P5mf4xm-XL.jpg

i-g2CfG9J-XL.jpg

i-k8NwLd7-XL.jpg

i-kVj2Jcf-XL.jpg

i-q6TdhLx-XL.jpg

i-sJktptq-XL.jpg

Phil
Wow! That looks sick.

Comprehensivist Comprehensivist How did you get Osage?!

All I got was some exhibition grade desert ironwood.

Thanks for the comment and question.

A couple years ago, Nathan posted a photo of some nice Osage that he wanted to use when the residual moisture level met his standards. When I placed my Shiv pre-order along with everyone else, I specified Osage as my first option and Desert Ironwood as second. It’s makers choice what gets used in the end. I didn’t know which wood I would get until I opened the box today.

I and others here would love to see your Exhibition Grade Desert Ironwood when you find an acceptable way to post photos. Nothing approaches the range of colors and figure of nice Ironwood. 👍

Phil

Last edited:
I have some time in the outdoors coming up next week. I plan to have the Shiv be my main companion during my time in the woods. I think it will prove to be a pretty capable and versatile tool.

Think of it this way: bayonets, particularly throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, were far more than just a stabbing tool. They were utilized for a lot of various camp purposes that they certainly were not intended for. The resourcefulness of the soldier should never be underestimated. Even the more modern Ka-bar type "fighting knife" - the stories I have heard from my family and buddies in the military would make the average knife lover cringe (or not, depending on perspective).

I have no doubt that the Shiv will exceed any and all expectations. I plan on beating the crap out of it - or at the very least, I won't be gentle. A knife, one designed for fighting or otherwise, can be one hell of a capable tool and I plan to put that concept to the test.
It won't be the best at chopping or slashing, but it will cut stuff. Won't give you good tip control for carving, but I'm sure it'll baton, drill and notch wood quite capably, and probably featherstick ok as well. Carry something small and practical alongside it like a PM3, and perhaps a SAK, and there won't be much you can't accomplish.

i-948wpbN-XL.jpg

i-nTshn94-XL.jpg

i-mMNm48R-XL.jpg

i-J3kTh6T-XL.jpg

i-rFzG6VQ-XL.jpg

i-P5mf4xm-XL.jpg

i-g2CfG9J-XL.jpg

i-k8NwLd7-XL.jpg

i-kVj2Jcf-XL.jpg

i-q6TdhLx-XL.jpg

i-sJktptq-XL.jpg

Phil
Great Pictures, and a Beautiful Shiv:D Congratulations Phil:thumbsup:

Tom

I have some time in the outdoors coming up next week. I plan to have the Shiv be my main companion during my time in the woods. I think it will prove to be a pretty capable and versatile tool.

Think of it this way: bayonets, particularly throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, were far more than just a stabbing tool. They were utilized for a lot of various camp purposes that they certainly were not intended for. The resourcefulness of the soldier should never be underestimated. Even the more modern Ka-bar type "fighting knife" - the stories I have heard from my family and buddies in the military would make the average knife lover cringe (or not, depending on perspective).

I have no doubt that the Shiv will exceed any and all expectations. I plan on beating the crap out of it - or at the very least, I won't be gentle. A knife, one designed for fighting or otherwise, can be one hell of a capable tool and I plan to put that concept to the test.
let us know how the steel belted tires hold up

Interested in your thoughts

Back