The Basic 5" Field Knife - Thoughts and Impressions

We don't use a blasted finish. The problem with a blasted finish is it tends to pick up little scratches pretty bad. We use a tumbled finish, which is really just millions of random small scratches. It has better corrosion resistance than a blasted finish and it also holds up to use pretty well.
Oh perfect. That's easier to replicate. Thanks for the correction!

I like using the diamond abrasive files on mcmaster dot com. Just clamp one end of your knife in a vise, then clamp a piece of straight angle iron on the other end. The angle iron will act as a stop line for where you're filing, the vise will hold the knife and act as a stop line on the opposite end.
Then, you just file in your 90° spine. Afterwards, you'll need to sand the area you filed to your desired finish (I do it by hand).
You'll want to be aware that the portion you have filed and sanded will be finished differently than the rest of the knife. I believe CPK knives typically come with a blasted finish (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). It's an even gray finish over the entire knife. After sanding and filing, the area will be much shinier.
You can leave it that way, it won't hurt anything, but it won't look great. I recommend sanding the entire knife to a satin finish (plenty of youtube how to videos).

If you like the way that looks you can leave it or you can do a quick acid wash to achieve whatever level of dark gray you want.
Thank you so much for the information! I’m going to give it a try!

It will be winter before they’re available for a Basic 5.

Stand by as we pause for a literary interlude...

Winter_discontent.JPG

That Steinbeck fella was certainly ahead of his time.

Just finished the jimping on my BFK. I only put four sections because I prefer even numbers for some reason. OCD I guess.
Finished making sure it's all squared. Still need to do a little more hand sanding and then I'll do a new tumble finish.

It feels really comfortable. I had a hard time getting the photo to focus on the jimping so the pic isn't crystal clear.

I really like this knife!
20230731_172417.jpg20230731_172430.jpg

Just finished the jimping on my BFK. I only put four sections because I prefer even numbers for some reason. OCD I guess.
Finished making sure it's all squared. Still need to do a little more hand sanding and then I'll do a new tumble finish.

It feels really comfortable. I had a hard time getting the photo to focus on the jimping so the pic isn't crystal clear.

View attachment 2271044View attachment 2271043

Nice work!!!

View attachment 2271044View attachment 2271043
I like it and think that it improves the knife for my preferences. Probably was left off as a cost cutting measure to get a great knife out of their shop and to their customers as inexpensively as possible.

The jimping and skeletonization and some other features were eliminated to make an affordable entry model that we were going to sell on Amazon but we were convinced not to by some folks here, so we sold them here instead.

Jo and I were talking about it today and we've decided we are going to do a pre-order for the Basic Five and a signature variation of it which will be made with jimping and some weight reduction features.

The jimping and skeletonization and some other features were eliminated to make an affordable entry model that we were going to sell on Amazon but we were convinced not to by some folks here, so we sold them here instead.

Jo and I were talking about it today and we've decided we are going to do a pre-order for the Basic Five and a signature variation of it which will be made with jimping and some weight reduction features.
Lanyard hole please. 😇

Take my money now!

In!!
Will there be steel choices?

oh nice! Personally I’d love to see some options for scales, particularly that “new” blonde vintage micarta.
Lanyard hole
Jimping on the pommel area and thumb ramp
And a swedge!

Thanks for doing this.

Back