The Laser Thread

The fiber lasers can be focused at the half-depth of the curve. If the curve is 3mm deep, you focus the laser at the peak of the curve, then lower the mast 1.5mm. This way the engraving is slightly de-focused at the highest and lowest point, but the overall image looks even.

Thanks, guys.
I'm intrigued by laser engraving, but I don't want to get into the laser engraving business per se.
I'm just waiting on the right one to become available after I understand them a little better.

Okay, I pulled my box out to see what I have. It is a combination unit
(Xtool RA2PRO). With the chuck accessory included, you can engrave smaller round objects (down to the diameter of a ring).
The diode laser does a pretty decent job on knives and stainless steel, and, Xtool has a 1064 IR laser specifically for metal engraving, that I have my eye on.
If I did not need the model I have (for the wife’s hobbies), the type Pafka mentioned would be great.

I don't know how much of a problem it really is. I've never seen any actual damage from a fire started by one of these desk top lasers. But it's mentioned fairly frequently that it's a possibility. So I thought I'd go ahead and do it.
So I've owned my 30w fiber laser for almost 6 years now. Never leave it unattended if lasering any material other than steel. They can lock up usually if doing a large complex job and the computer either gets a random update for a program & struggles processing or can even happen if computer screensaver activates whilst laser is running. The laser will lock up and just focus the beam on one spot and if the item is combustible it will burn a hole straight through in seconds and set it a blaze.

Are the guys with the Xtool lasers generally happy with their marks on steel?Anyone have the IR head and tried it on some blades?

I’m looking at the S1 with the 40w head and the IR head, but might be giving in from being spammed with their ads on social media… there are affordable fiber lasers but like the idea of being able to cut out sheaths with the diode laser too.

Last edited:
Are the guys with the Xtool lasers generally happy with their marks on steel?Anyone have the IR head and tried it on some blades?

I’m looking at the S1 with the 40w head and the IR head, but might be giving in from being spammed with their ads on social media… there are affordable fiber lasers but like the idea of being able to cut out sheaths with the diode laser too.

The 1064nm IR laser is great for marking blades. Gives you a good deep mark. I have the F1, easy to use and portable. You can see my markings on IG mwidenknives

The 1064nm IR laser is great for marking blades. Gives you a good deep mark. I have the F1, easy to use and portable. You can see my markings on IG mwidenknives
Those marks look great! That gives me some reassurance. I couldn’t seem to find many other reviews of the IR laser, or at least non sponsored reviews. Thanks!

Those marks look great! That gives me some reassurance. I couldn’t seem to find many other reviews of the IR laser, or at least non sponsored reviews. Thanks!

Glad I could help. If you get one and want advice on settings, shoot me a dm on Instagram.

It looks like I'm going to have to go with a fiber laser. Unfortunately, the less expensive ones don't have a large enough engraving area for my purposes.

Is the 10 watt diode laser decent for marking steel? How deep can you engrave steel?

Bill, the 10 watt laser can make a good mark. I'm using the OLM3 (B0B4RH887T on Amazon). It's 10 watts, but has a small "dot" that focus all the laser energy in a small spot. Fairly normal size for diode lasers now.

Here is a knife I engraved, the text is dark, not as deep as I'd like but it does take a bit of sanding to get it all off on the 2X72 with 400 grit.
Copper-Skinner-s.jpg

Thanks! I may start out with a 10 watt diode laser.

Now here's something I'm going to have to go through when I have more time. I'm seriously thinking of getting a laser. But everyone says the one they sell is the best and will do what I want it to. I'll be looking to mark/etch/engrave my logo into blades. pattern sheaths and burn images into the leather and possibly even into handles. Cutting 1/4" hard wood scales may also be in the mix. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks guys.

Leave out the cutting of 1/4" hardwood scales and the OLM3 (as well as other lasers) listed above will do what you want. Of course, if money is no object there are MUCH better choices.... think about $5K to $10K :)

I have the ComMarker B4 20W Fiber laser and the XTOOL 20W Diode laser. So far I've found them both pretty useful for knifemaking.

The Diode has been great for cutting out sheaths and wood templates. I've used the wood templates for stock removal knifes and for sharping guards. For those who sell knives I can see the ability to make custom boxes as being useful as well. Lastly I've used the diose laser for cutting out foam in knife carrying cases.

-------------------

I use the fiber laser primarily for etching the makers mark. Right now I'm using the following settings:

0.05 interval, 50 mm/sec, 30% power, 26 frequency (kHz) and 20 passes with a 45 degree scan angle

This has been giving me a very nice and deep etch. I do have to clean it up with sandpaper afterwards... not sure if there is something I can change on the settings to prevent that, but honestly it hasn't been an issue for me.

pre-clean-up:

post-clean-up:

another-pre-clean-up:

another-post-clean-up:

I saw the pre-clean up etch and think WOW, that's gonna really be nice with a light sanding, and it is nice. Looks like a pretty deep etch? That's the problem with my 10 watt diode laser, the etch isn't very deep at all, perhaps a couple thou or so? BUT, is pretty easy to remove on the 2X72 belt grinder if a location mistake is made. That etch looks like it's deep - a few thou?

K Ken H> it is pretty deep! It takes a while running that many passes, but I like the results. Very crisp etch as well. I spray a little WD40 on there when I clean it up and they come out with a nice dark etch as well as deep.

As far as how deep these cut vs an electro chemical etch I etched a sample in this video and put a gauge on it. (06:35min into the video):

Last edited:
That fiber sure does a GREAT job - looks really good and "if" I was in the business of selling knives I do think that's what I would want.

As usual a GREAT job of your video.

So I've been bitten by the bug to get a laser. I'd like to be able to do my makers mark, Cut handle blanks and etch/burn into wood or leather. I'd also like to option of rotary to do tumbles as a side thing but its not that important. Looking for suggestions that won't break the bank. Would the xTool F1 work or would I be better off with a different model from them or another manufacture all together. Thanks

Back