The NEW Post Your Campsite/gear/knife/hiking/anything Outdoorsy Pic Thread!

Yup. 4.5" wide and studded.
That is freakin' awesome! My wife and I love cycling and usually get around 2,000 miles/year. But we've never been cycling in the snow.

These winter outdoor photos remind me how much I used to love backpacking in winter! Not sure it would be such a great idea anymore, now that I'm in my 60s. :( Maybe I better stick to cycling, hiking, kayaking and camping - minus the snow and temps below 25 F. I miss it, though. I have some great memories.

That is freakin' awesome! My wife and I love cycling and usually get around 2,000 miles/year. But we've never been cycling in the snow.

These winter outdoor photos remind me how much I used to love backpacking in winter! Not sure it would be such a great idea anymore, now that I'm in my 60s. :( Maybe I better stick to cycling, hiking, kayaking and camping - minus the snow and temps below 25 F. I miss it, though. I have some great memories.

Biking on snow can be a lot of fun. It can also be a lot of work. Just like all winter travel, it's very conditions-dependent. But when conditions are right, it can be kind of surreal, and really fun. I'm fortunate enough to live in a place with a pretty motivated fat bike community, and so we have a variety of groomed trails to take advantage of, and a number of them are within riding distance of my house. In addition to a number of groomed XC/multi-use tracks, some of our summer singletrack trails are being groomed now as well, and so it has really turned into a mtn biking season that never ends.

I mountain bike as well and in the past I have ridden all winter long nearly everyday in snowy conditions.

Couple weeks ago at Kettle Moraine South in Wisconsin. Took my 21 yo nephew for his 1st camping trip and set him up in a hammock. Now he's hooked. Oh, and I found and ate my first morel. It was delicious!

20240504_104418.jpg20240505_080031.jpg

Back