Traveling to Stowe, Vermont U.S.A. any inside info?

ZHoovie

Gold Member
Like the title says, my wife & I are traveling to Stowe, Vermont later this year. Is there any must see/things to do, tips?
We've never been there before but will be going there this coming October.

Thanks in advance 👍

You'll be just a short drive from the Ben & Jerry's factory, and their tour is a fun one. Plus you get to eat delicious ice cream. :)

We’ve rented a cabin there a few times, camped in a tent once. I don’t recall any place in particular I’d recommend. Had some good wine at a local place that was nice. Mostly i remember the whole area being beautiful. Once we caught the fall color change and it was spectacular driving around the backroads.

If you like breweries, you'll be about 90min from Harpoon and Long Trail (they are about 30min from each other), and Long Trail is right near Woodstock, which has been voted America's prettiest town. If you're into a younger crowd, Stowe is also about 45min from Burlington, which is a college town, and the biggest town in VT by population.

Tagging EngrSorenson EngrSorenson , as he spends time in VT.

Last edited:
You picked a great time of year to go to VT. Quintessential New England in fall.
I've not been to Stowe, but I've spent time in Burlington, Montpelier, and St. Johnsbury and you really can't miss. In Glover, a relatively short drive away, is Parker Pie- the best pizza place I've ever been to. The Green Mountain Special is the thing to order (looks weird, I know, but trust me). They have Hill Farmstead beer on tap which is some of the best beer in the world. Lots of cool, quirky things to find in VT if you're willing to spend at least 10 minutes wondering what the hell you're supposed to do when you arrive.

Awesome! I'll check into those. I'm trying to get a good idea of what's up there & try to have some stuff pre-planned when we get there. Thanks for the suggestions!

are you driving? There's some cool stuff to check out on your way up there.

How far would you be willing to adventure?
Not totally sure at the moment lol
We're staying at a place in Stowe for the week while we're up there. So we'll have time to drive around & see plenty of places.
Maybe two hours or so? That'll give us plenty of time for a day trip out somewhere around the area & let us get back to where we're staying by nightfall.

I'm about to suggest places that are a little afield (within about 2 hours of stowe), but they are places my family has traditionally enjoyed. If you're a big fan of Christmas and you or your wife like candles, the Yankee Candle flagship store is in deerfield, Mass, just down the road from a cool butterfly place called "Magic Wings" where you can go walk among probably 50 different kinds of butterflies. There's also Brattleboro, which is a crunchie hippy city nestled against the Connecticut river, but it's kinda neat; never been to a "city" like it. Off of Brattleboro there's Rt 30 which has got some quaint places to check out, like the Newfane Store (great food there) and a glass blower in townshend who's sometimes open for demonstrations. The Vermont Country Store in Rockinham, VT is also a fun stop- it's a little touristy, but they usually have neat things in an old-timey atmosphere to look at. There's Positive Pie (another great pizza joint) in Montpelier, and Hill Farmstead brewery in Greensboro Bend. There's also Fiddlehead Brewery in Shelburne, and the Vermont Teddy Bear Company just up the road. Cabot has a Creamery store nearby to Stowe, as well.

Usually interesting things are never too far apart, but Vermont usually means driving to the next location you're probably most interested in. In mid october, you stand a great chance of hitting leaf peeping season, and I will tell you I never get tired of watching the mountains come alive with color. The drives are often worth it, and it's a beautiful state to check out. You'll notice that there are no billboards anywhere to be found, which really makes things look greener, but unfortunately it can make spontaneous stops a little harder.

The area is one of my favorites, and I’ve been to all but 4 states so far. Enjoy it stress free!

Back