Why choose Spy27 over Magnacut?

Since they are very similar in price on current Spyderco models I'm curious why anyone would prefer Spy27?

Ive been wondering this too. Not so much vs magnacut but just in general, what's the big selling point of spy 27? It seems like a mid range wear stainless, but what's it like? Harder and tougher than s30v? I don't know.

Ive been wondering this too. Not so much vs magnacut but just in general, what's the big selling point of spy 27? It seems like a mid range wear stainless, but what's it like? Harder and tougher than s30v? I don't know.

Spy27 is very similar to S35VN, but it's easier to maintain. Usually a quick stropping session is enough. I think magnacut can be hardened more and will hold an edge longer.
When in doubt I always look at knifesteelnerds.com

I wish Spyderco would publish a downloadable chart of all their steel options... comparing them. There's a lot to keep up with ! I'm still trying to figure out the difference between S35VN and S45VN. 🤨

They do have a list of their steel options actually :)
https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/steel-chart/
Oh, wow.... cool! I see they break it down to the components... I'll have to get into that a bit. Was hoping for something a bit more basic, as in comparing edge retention with toughness with corrosion resistance. I see in their steel brochure they say that ZDP-189 is classified as an exotic steel that is not actually a steel by definition. That's fascinating.

Oh, wow.... cool! I see they break it down to the components... I'll have to get into that a bit. Was hoping for something a bit more basic, as in comparing edge retention with toughness with corrosion resistance. I see in their steel brochure they say that ZDP-189 is classified as an exotic steel that is not actually a steel by definition. That's fascinating.
There's always the steel charts on knifesteelnerds' website, which does have simple ratings for edge retention/toughness/corrosion resistance according to the tests they performed. I wouldn't take the ratings as gospel or anything, but they're a good starting point to get an idea of where different steels stand at least.

With how close it is to s30v etc, I wouldn't be suprisred to see it be the standard spyderco steel. Replacing s30v, vg10 etc. No idea, just seemed like an idea that makes sense to me, especially since it's made just for spyderco.

There's always the steel charts on knifesteelnerds' website, which does have simple ratings for edge retention/toughness/corrosion resistance according to the tests they performed. I wouldn't take the ratings as gospel or anything, but they're a good starting point to get an idea of where different steels stand at least.
I will take a lookie... I've been there before for quick visits. I want it all in a steel, like most people. I really like CPM-M4 but its harder to find. I haven't tried Cru-Wear yet. K390 is awesome but you have to watch it closely. I like what I see in Magnacut and I'm waiting to get a knife in that, probably the new Salt Para-2.

I want that toughness and I want that corrosion resistance. Those two are most important to me. I can always touch a knife up quickly so edge retention is less important. What I don't like is micro-chipping and I've found that can happen quite easily in S30V and M390. I don't even know how it happens!

Back