2019 Deer

Ive been out a few times but the deer see me before I see them. I havent gotten a good shot at a nice deer yet, so I havent gotten one. Im hoping to go this week a good bit

Only one so far. I got her 3 weeks ago with my crossbow, @ 149lb gutted she's the largest doe I've ever gotten from the flat [Northern] part of Ohio. They dont grow as big up there so I was thrilled to find such a big girl (usually I go south to the hills)

This weekend I took my 12yo nephew out for youth gun season, he's a pretty good shot but he was using a rifle of mine that worked differently then his shotgun and it caused him to make a mistake that the 8pt heard and jetted off... We heard the deer and managed to crawl out into the clearing to take a shot but on the marlin I had equipped him with the safety is a hammer block (unlike his 22 and his dad's 870 which both physically prevent the trigger from being pulled) so he cocked the hammer back and squeezed the trigger to fire and it slammed into the block and the deer heard that... I think I'm more disappointed then he was!

Gun week starts in 7 days, I'll be at deer camp wed-sunday
jhaNl7Z.jpg

Knife photo:
tcS18p9.jpg

I got that one from my stand yes. Nephew and I were in a ground blind on top of a hill overlooking a bean field at 12 o'clock, a creek at 3 o'clock and a tree line behind us. We heard him scraping on a tree behind us and snuck out the back. Managed to get about 15yds from him before the safety issue.

I got a nice 9-point whitetail in southern Illinois on Saturday. We skinned and butchered him right there on the four-wheeler after dark.

fmrfiHC.jpg

I used a Magnum Research BFR 5" in 454 Casull, shooting my handloads of a 325 grain WFN at 1100 fps. Shot was broadside at 18 yards through the neck. He did need a finisher . . . deer are tough! I used my Gerry Drew drop point for the skinning.

4L9Zgmk.jpg

DrewLadderHunter.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, it took me several minutes just to see if he was legal (4 point minimum).

Nice bucks, gentlemen. I have been watching lots of does and yearlings this season, but I haven’t taken a shot. Just enjoy being in the woods, but my trigger finger is getting itchy.

Got this guy thismorning.
Zh6DKk0.jpg

TtOlmu1.jpg

Put two good shots on him from 55 yards, obviously for the second he was already on the run and still managed a 4" group with the Skinner peep sights. In all actuality the second shot was a waste of 38 pesos, first hit was a lung hit and would of easily done its job, it's just so fun to cycle that lever! Really like the performance on the hornady leverevolution 325gn's, all the pedals break off but the majority of the round stays together and mushrooms out perfectly, neither round was a pass-through.

Knife pic: from local maker Mike Yurco, my main hunting knife (polished black/brown G10) and Lewis Smith's "Caper" (orange G10)
DyR9BNZ.jpg

Back