4 Cold Steel knives the everyman should have

Decided to come up with a utilitarian list that would be useful to every gentleman regardless of profession, age, or budget range. Be it for EDC, house chores, recreational camping, urban survival, or last resort self-defense, I think at least one of these knives should fit those roles. Hope it’s an entertaining read.

Tuff Lite - Whether it’s the regular size or the mini, this is a capable work knife priced extremely well. Good application of the wharncliffe blade, small enough to toss in the pocket, inclusion of the Tri-Ad lock—plenty of things going for this little guy. Easy knife to recommend to someone looking for an inexpensive, compact workhorse.

SRK - A versatile utility fixed blade. If I needed to distribute knives for my team of survivalists after society flips out, it would be either this or the Recon Tanto (though I realize the tanto tip is not everyone’s cup of tea). You can do camp chores with it, cut rope, chop small branches, and it’ll keep on trucking. Also, for me at least, it’s not too long or heavy so it’s fairly convenient to stow in a backpack or attach to your belt for long periods of time. The option of having this knife in SK5 or 3V is a nice bonus as well.

Recon 1 - Let biases be known, this is my favorite folding knife to date. The ergonomics just work for me, the tanto blade came sharp out of the box, and lockup is 100% solid. For EDC tasks, this is my go-to knife. The aggressive tacticool design doesn’t bother me one bit. Proved to myself several times that this knife simply works.

Voyager XL - I’d say the niche of this one is the Tuff Lite’s bigger brother. Whereas the first knife on our list is the faithful mule, the Voyager XL is the massive reliable draft horse. There may be days when you’ll find the additional cutting edge handy. It’s possible to use a longer knife more carefully as you would a smaller knife (choking up and resting your thumb on the spine) but you can’t expect a 2.5” blade to perform like a 5.5” beast.

Feel free to share your own list! I’m interested to know what you guys would recommend.

Recon 1- personally my favorite folder

Master Hunter- who doesn’t like a drop point hunter?

Trailmaster- that’s not a knife, this is a knife

Ti-Lite- mr. stabby

Recon 1 is a fine example of having your cake and eating it to. The Broken Skull is like the little brother who weighs less but punches above it’s weight class.

Master Hunter is one of those fixed blades that you grab when you have a lot of cutting to do. It crosses into several roles very well.

I have wanted a Trailmaster for years. Everything I see and hear about checks the boxes as a nimble yet tough chopper.

The SRK in SK5. Its almost hard to believe how much you get for so little money.

Great List! Mine would be almost identical. Tuff-Lite, Recon 1 Tanto, Voyager Vaquero (or the LT version if you can find one), and AD10.

Ti Lite 6" Aluminum, no Frenzy, no Holdout series, no.....I give up. I do even worse with the fixed blades pick(s). I bought them all so I didn't have to pick.:D

For medium size knives:

1. Lawman(surprised no one mentioned it yet) - Lawman to Cold Steel is like what a 710 is to Benchmade. It's the first Triad lock that started it all, just like 710 is the first axis. Not to mention that it's the closest substitute to popular knives like PM2, Manix 2 or Griptilian.
2. Ultimate Hunter
3. Mini Recon 1
4. Code 4

Most of my selections, overlap with many of yours.

AD-10 is always a top choice

aPZCYHYh.jpg

4 MAX Italian-version is a show-stopper:

NnOhwDIh.jpg

The Scout is always a winner, but having two rocks:

YnH2zTfh.jpg

The Large Voyager is the perfect EDC blade:

nObgceVh.jpg

As an elective choice, either the Recon 1 or the SR1.

Most of my selections, overlap with many of yours.

AD-10 is always a top choice

aPZCYHYh.jpg

4 MAX Italian-version is a show-stopper:

NnOhwDIh.jpg

The Scout is always a winner, but having two rocks:

YnH2zTfh.jpg

The Large Voyager is the perfect EDC blade:

nObgceVh.jpg

As an elective choice, either the Recon 1 or the SR1.
Beautiful list and blades, man. Muy bien!

Recon 1 - modern classic
American Lawman - outstanding EDC
Code 4 - another excellent EDC
Voyager XL - ridiculously large, yet wonderfully useful

This thread has reminded me that I need to purchase a 6" Ti-Lite.

I have all but the tuff light. I miss my Voyager tanto medium sized. Security stole it from me. I bought the XL to console myself but it hasn't helped.
I feel like a Leatherneck and Survivalist could adourn this list as well but CS has so many sweet models.

I have all but the tuff light. I miss my Voyager tanto medium sized. Security stole it from me. I bought the XL to console myself but it hasn't helped.
I feel like a Leatherneck and Survivalist could adourn this list as well but CS has so many sweet models.
I have the Leatherneck SF and I love it. In fact, it’s on my study desk right now. That being said, I still think the SRK or the Recon Tanto is the more practical (and inexpensive) option for general utility work. The RT in particular is a tad blade heavy, which makes chopping actions feel more solid. I don’t doubt that the Leatherneck can also pull that off, but I think the SRK or the RT can do a better job.

Back