antler-how to polish smooth and shiny without losing popcorn ?

meako

Gold Member
Let me be the first to open the search for knowledge on this subforum.
Got some bits and bobs of Rusa antler. Its similar to Sambar.
I want to make up some woggles for the cubs and scouts scarves.
I got the cross section like glass with a dremel buff amd some 1200 grit emery paper.
I'd like to get the popcorny sides to a similar sheen.
Is it do- able?
thanks in advance for any advice.

I presume the problem is getting into the nooks and crannies of the "popcorned" area with your 1200 emery and dremel buff? Are you using compound with the dremel? They are a bit stiff IIRC.

You might have better luck with a loose sewn buffing wheel, or at least something that conforms to an irregular surface a little better than a dremel buff, if that is in fact a problem.

That said, it may still be doable WITH the dremel, but you might find that it's a little more efficient to start off with a more aggressive compound and then work your way to a polishing rouge.

Obviously the more porous areas will not take quite as much shine as a more solid cross section, but it should be noticeably better than nothing.

Ok -thanks guys.
yes I used the red dremel rouge which did the job on the flat cross section area and looks good.
I 'll try the loose buffing wheel -I can use my bosses.
Do I coat the thin superglue on the whole piece? and then polish when dry?
cheers.

There are small (3/4 inch) brushes available for the dremel. The brushes are cheap and readily available from jewelry supply houses like Rio Grande. They will allow you to get into all the little groves you want to polish. If you use a polishing compound like "Zam" (also available from Rio) you will be able to polish anywhere you want.

Remember, in polishing, the polishing compound is applied to the brush tips and not the sides of the brush. Use a light pressure so that the tips of the brush do the work, not by applying so much pressure that the brush tips are distorted and the sides of the brush come in contact with the work.

Use a fairly loose buffing wheel with scratchless pink buffing compound. It will shine them up in a second. No sanding or other compound needed.

I make slides from stag for wildrags for cowboys. I'm guessing they are like your woggles? Use a clean buff with the pink scratchless or you'll get gunk down in the texture you'll never get out. I give em a blast of a clear coat afterwards.

Goldsmithy-thanks mate.
-i've got the dremel brush but how long should it take until the thing starts to get shiny?
Horsewright-sounds like the same thing the woggle gathers the two ends of a scarf .The scouts usually make them from a turks head knot in leather thong.
Our cubs will make them of pipecleaners and other such "craft" type stuff.
I just wanted to make something different and a bit more blokey that will last as well.
cheers.
thank you all for your knowledgeable answers.

Back