any reason to NOT get a wicked edge pro?

corey4

Gold Member
is there any reason to NOT get a wicked edge pro? i am not worried about the cost, i'll get my use out of it. i am currently watching videos and reading reviews, but no one really states if they hate it.

i currently have the work sharp precision adjust, and i am to the point im done fiddle f*cking with the bendy tower and the flex in the system.

Why I ditched Wicked Edge and Switched to TsProf.
Knife Knerd Reviews

Why I sold my Wicked Edge
Streets Ahead

is there any reason to NOT get a wicked edge pro?
First I would compare the price of Wicked Edge system to prices on Gritomatic site. You will see how serious system you can get for the same price.
The second reason is you will need to buy stones directly from them when you wear them out or you will want to add some stones to your collection. This system is not compatible with stones all other normal sharpening systems are using.
Third reason is you need two pieces of each stone - because of weird design.
I personally can't find any common sense in such design but there is a guy on this forum (with name ''four zeroes and something) who is promoting this system. Perhaps he can give you some strong points about this system.

i currently have the work sharp precision adjust, and i am to the point im done fiddle f*cking with the bendy tower and the flex in the system.
Yeah; bad design and made of plastic ...worst combination you can get. They also have improved version but still lots of plastic in there and special stones you need to buy from them.
But it's called 'Profesional Precision Adjust' so I guess professional sharpeners are using it so it can't be that bad. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm a long time Wicked Edge user. I had the original version, the WE120 and just got the WE66 Obsidian. The only issue I've ever really had with the system is the clamping of FFG knives. There were a few different methods of compensating, but nothing ever really great.

The new DualCam vise on the Obsidian and the Cobalt seem to fix that issue. I'm a big fan of using two paddles at the same time for sharpening. I don't sharpen professionally and I'm on my 2nd set of 100/200 grit stones from over a decade ago. I'm still on my first set of 400/600 and 800/1000 stones.

That being said, the Pro version never really appealed to me.

I've tried the pro 3 and never got the knack for it, went back to the kme.

I've tried the edge pro, had good results, not very mobile as I had the one that suction cupped to the counter.

walked away from knives for a couple years.

Came back to the kme, got tired of flipping the knife over. Went to the we66 and it's an improvement over the pro 3. I don't do the micro adjustments on each side, I'd rather have them be the same angle on each side, so I tried the pro 4.

So for the pro 4, I went with no storage and no adjust. Very easy to pick it up and move it when needed. I really like the locking mechanism they have added and it does half degrees which I could give or take but it does add to it. 12 to 28 degrees, without the micro adjust, I can't do over 28 degree angle. No loss in my opinion. With the veteran discount, that took it down a bit and I'm pretty happy with it. Doesn't look like an erector set. I store it on a desk when not in use, bring it in the kitchen when in use. It's up and down that quick and easy to use.

Also forgot to mention that the pro 4 changed the rod installation. we66 has the ball joint and the pro 4 has the screw in rods. we66 gives you the circular grommets to stop metal from getting in the joints, you don't need that with the pro 4. the joint system on the pro 4 is stiffer, not in a bad way. Your stones don't flop around like the do with the we66. I really like the pro 4 joint system much better.

Last edited:
I don't know if anybody has seen these but from Gritomatic (amazon link as my work blocks Gritomatic). If the link is a mess, it's basically stone holders for the Wicked Edge that Gritomatic is selling. That opens up all sorts of stones to use with the Wicked Edge if you don't like they're stones.

The only reason I can think of is if you learned to sharpen by hand you wouldn't need it.

I had a Gen3 Pro pack, and it did deliver superb edges. My main dislike which ultimately led to selling it, was the orientation of it's design. I didn't like the metal dust from sharpening falling straight down into the entire mechanism. I also wasn't a fan of the sharpened edge being face up, as the nature of the WE setup did tend to encourage/allow the motions of sharpening to become quicker/less careful (yeah, I know that is operator error). I find the orientation of other more Edge Pro-derivative to be more inclined to be more "thoughtful" in use. That of course is completely user driven, and I readily admit the WE method is ultimately quicker at sharpening. And IMHO the WE is much more restrictive of knife size.

I find it interesting someone starts the thread with a question and then disappears and other members just continue talking to each other.

The only reason I can think of is if you learned to sharpen by hand you wouldn't need it.
I don't have any expensive knives but I wonder how someone feels about having a ''not 100% perfect free hand'' sharpened edge on his $500 to $1000 knife, not to mention all those Rockstead or even more exotic knives owners.
Just imagine Rockstead UN-ZDP with free hand sharpened edge.

I have tried the freehand sharpneing stones on my kitchen knife which is an old chicago cutlery and man, it was bad. I didn't have the patience to perfect freehand and agree, anything expensive, I'd hate to risk it. I'm sure over time, it would have been better. KME just allowed me to get a good even edge without months or years of practice to perfect freehand.

I’ve had the Wicked Edge pro for about 2 years now and I’m a pretty big fan. I still have a lot to learn but I was extremely happy with the edge I put on my Shiro Neon. It took me quite a while to build up the confidence to sharpen a “more expensive” knife. Thrilled it turned out so well!!!

I find it interesting someone starts the thread with a question and then disappears and other members just continue talking to each other.

I don't have any expensive knives but I wonder how someone feels about having a ''not 100% perfect free hand'' sharpened edge on his $500 to $1000 knife, not to mention all those Rockstead or even more exotic knives owners.
i didn't disappear. i read comments and suggestions, then watch and read reviews. i work outside and my computer and phone time is very limited. besides, this thread isn't just for me, there are others who are probably following this thread and learning as well.

As a Maker I naturally wonder and worry about how My products are received?
I freehand grind.
I freehand sharpen.

My bevels are off, my grinds are off. Things are convex. Things are wonky...... but sharp.

A number of well known users and collectors here have my knives. People who I respect and value their views.

I have asked them this very question, and if I should get a fixed system to get more of a consistent look/grind.
Everyone I asked says NO. They want them the way they are.

I can see progress in my work from when I first started, but I know I have come to appreciate things that were made by Someone, by hand. Someone who puts their eye, and back into their labor. The effort. The human experience.
Some might call it Art. Some might call it Craftsmanship. But there is definitely something special when something is made by hand. By a person, not a cnc machine or a bot.
Different people like different things.
I've come to learn that hand ground edges are Not inferior.

I really respect the work people put into they're art, from creating the knives (or any other art) and down to sharpening those knifes. I'm so detailed focused that I nit pick things. I still find flaws in blades that I have sharpened and continue to improve them over time. I chose the gen 4 pro with no micro adjust so I can set the angle exactly for each side and lock it in. I know that there will always be a little difference in the stone or the edge but it's close enough where I won't see any mistakes I've made. So for myself, I have a hard time (but I really do enjoy water stones) not knowing what the true angle and if the angles match when I hand sharpen.

I don’t see any reason not too if you want one. I never used one, but I do have fixed systems. I am currently working on learning freehand sharpening. I struggle and am coming to the conclusion, there is no wrong system, just one or more that works for you.

Last edited:
I made myself two sharpening systems with attachments for extremely small blades, scissors and true scandi grind.
I have no problem doing most things by myself from concrete, plumbing, stick welding and woodworking to machining metal and anything in between. That's how it is around here where I live. People can do most things by themself.
I also have big table diamond stones, a holder for free hand sharpening with my guided system stones and I also have a few folding diamond sharpeners.
I have no problem with coordination so I can free hand sharpen different ways as my favourite Youtube sharpeners (Cliff Stamp, Outdoors55, NorthWest Knife Guy).
Sometimes I sharpen freehand and sometimes on my systems. It depends on the mood. If I go somewhere I always take with me my modified folding sharpener.
Sometimes I'm anal and I want a perfect edge and sometimes I don't care.
I can do most things I need to do by myself and this is what gives me joy in life....a knowledge and skillful hands.

Free hand sharpening is not "100% perfect" by its own definition.
It will never replicate the exactness of a mechanically edged blade.
I find free hand sharpening to be a disappearing art on not just knives but all edged tools that have been sharpened this way for a really long time.
I grew up with it and have tried a Worksharp and and a couple of the jig type sharpeners. Gave 'em all away.
Hand sharpening and knowing how a cutting edge works and is formed is a good thing to know. Has worked for me a long time.
Sorry about my off thread rant.
Back the thread.
How are these high dollar knives being used that they need sharpening?

Hand sharpening and knowing how a cutting edge works and is formed is a good thing to know.
Indeed it is. I can't imagine I would give my knives to a professional sharpener or to be dependent only on my sharpening jigs. Well, I use them but I also like free hand sharpening.
I have large diamond plates you put on a bench but frankly I don't like them much. I like to use smaller plates and pocket sharpeners.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AYaMkLkGW658r0xGpsTHzLCFFT_avG9a/view?usp=drivesdk

I'm on short vacations over the weekend at the sea right now (about 2 hours drive) and I found in apartment kitchen drawer a few serrated knives and one very dull, chipped and with bent tip normal knife.
I have a Mora Companion with me for my kitchen needs but I just had to put an edge on this knife.
I always take with me a folding knife or two and my folding sharpener wherever I go.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DsknXJ9i5kz4ygBgLxEHrOy0dSSftnQR/view?usp=drivesdk

Back