Axe info

They used GAB rather than GBA in the 60s and at least into the 70s. Somewhere here will know the year they switched. Thay will give you an oldest possible date.

Anyone have any info on axes stamped ANNIVERSARY. I have seen the true tempers with this stamp, but the heads I am thinking of only say anniversary. Still a TT product just marked differently?

Thanks.

Anyone have any info on axes stamped ANNIVERSARY. I have seen the true tempers with this stamp, but the heads I am thinking of only say anniversary. Still a TT product just marked differently?

Thanks.

This came up before, and the example had a partial label that indicated 1829-1929 (100-year anniversary), like in this photo (posted by Vanitas at another forum):

39225-189dd025d8965411aedf3dfc4d8a91ff.jpg

The Geo. Worthington Company had an "Anniversary" brand listed in Hardware Age (1941) for various tools including axes. And the year this company was founded was 1829. So, as I posted earlier, I think those ones are probably from the Geo. Worthington Co.

I think those ones are probably from the Geo. Worthington Co.

George Worthington (September 21, 1813 – November 9, 1871) was a 19th-century merchant and banker in Cleveland, Ohio, who founded the Geo. Worthington Company, a wholesale hardware and industrial distribution firm, in 1829 (until 1991 Cleveland's oldest extant business)... Wikipedia

There are some mentions of an Anniversary crosscut saw from Worthington:

Early Logging Tools - Page 51
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0764327402
Kevin Johnson - 2007 - ‎Snippet view
Anniversary bucking saw. $150-200. Courtesy of Dr. Donald C.Jastad.
Close up of Geo. Worthington Co. Anniversary No. 1418 bucking saw. Courtesy of Dr. Donald C.Jastad.

The "Anniversary" brand was still listed for Worthington in 1941, for a bunch of items including axes:

Hardware Age - Volume 148, Issues 1-6 - Page 726
https://books.google.com/books?id=oaITAQAAMAAJ
1941 - ‎Snippet view
ANNIVERSARY Auger Bits, Axes. Braces. Buck Saws, Butcher Knives. Butcher Saws, Butcher Steels, Hand Saws, Lawn Mowers, Narrow Cross-cut Saws, One-man Saws, Planes and Wide Cross-cut Saws.
Geo. Worthington ...

I just picked up a Gambles Artisan on line. 3.5 lbs Michigan pattern with ridges in the eye.

I have learned that Gambles hardware started in the mid west in the 1920s and grew to a large department store chain. They went out of business in the 1980s. I was hoping to find out who made their heads but haven’t had much luck. The eye ridges point towards True Temper but who knows for sure.

Anyway, anyone have more info on Gamble axes?

I just picked up a Gambles Artisan on line. 3.5 lbs Michigan pattern with ridges in the eye.

I have learned that Gambles hardware started in the mid west in the 1920s and grew to a large department store chain. They went out of business in the 1980s. I was hoping to find out who made their heads but haven’t had much luck. The eye ridges point towards True Temper but who knows for sure.

Anyway, anyone have more info on Gamble axes?
Gambles wouldn't have made the axe. Ridges in the eye are exclusively features of Kelly/True Temper products. From what I remember the patent is from the early 1960s but they were already being marketed a year or two before then. So what you've got is vintage but not truly old.

Hello All,
Here's an I. Blood axe head I found while digging in my garden. My house was built in the 1700's. After a soak it looks good enough to hang, but I'm not sure of its original purpose. There was a sawmill on the property, so it may have been used in that capacity. Any thoughts on what the axe may have been originally used for or the type/length of handle I should use would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Gary
282gAHq

282gATq

26mNSbL

h0p98D

Hello All,
Here's an I. Blood axe head I found while digging in my garden. My house was built in the 1700's. After a soak it looks good enough to hang, but I'm not sure of its original purpose. There was a sawmill on the property, so it may have been used in that capacity. Any thoughts on what the axe may have been originally used for or the type/length of handle I should use would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Gary
282gAHq

282gATq

26mNSbL

h0p98D
42677549874_65bed139f3_k.jpg

42677550454_8d6958ff9e_k.jpg

42677552044_c49bbde56a_k.jpg

41585950280_b8778e70f3_k.jpg

You have put together a great list! I own an OVB axe (Our Very Best) from the Hibbard Spencer and Bartlett company. That was a hardware brand that today is True Value. Is that the HSB that I see on your list? Thanks, T-A

Hi , i just bought this axe head from a local market It was brought from Canada
Is it the kelly works montreal pattern ?? would like to restore it and i don't know what type of handle i need thank you
image;s=1000x700

Reactions: A17
That is an angle grinder de-luxe montreal pattern. That looks like a TT Flint Edge dayton pattern someone modified into a montreal. There's nothing wrong with it, it just makes it more unique. It would use a standard 32 or 36 inch single bit handle but the one on it looks salvageable to me.

I don't know if any of you have seen this before. Probably! But I hadn't and I found it very enjoyable and informative.

Makes me want to start learning to smith! What beautiful steel!

I don't know if any of you have seen this before. Probably! But I hadn't and I found it very enjoyable and informative.

Makes me want to start learning to smith! What beautiful steel!
I will definitely have to watch this. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Hi

Can you please suggest me any good hatchets. I am making my own router table because the Bosch Benchtop Router Table RA1181 which I purchased is not working anymore. I don't want to buy a new one because my budget is low. So, please suggest any best hatchet.

Back