Bill Bagwell damascus?

In the article about Mr. Bill Moran in the latest issue of the Blade Magazine, it said that Mr. Bill Bagwell started the quest on damascus at almost the same time as the legendary Bill Moran.

Does anyone know how is his work? And is he still making knives?

Joe Leung

Hi Joe,

It is true that Bagwell and Moran attained their Master Smith level at the same time. Bill Moran is considered the father of modern day Damascus steel making here in the United States.

As far as I know Mr Bagwell is still making blades.He had a small part in a movie Can't think of the name but Don Ameche and Joe Montegra were in it. Bagwell presented a Bowie at a meeting of mafia don's to the head guy.He stopped a few years ago having his name and address listed in the Ken Warners books . He did play a big role in Damascus back during it's revival but seems to shun the limelight now. His forged Bowies were and still are some of the most awesome I have seen.
Bob

Hi Bob,

Regarding Bill Bagwell. His long term collectability has been hurt by his drifting in and out of the custom knife market. While he became a Master Smith at the same time as Bill Moran did up until recently you would be hard pressed to find people who knew who Bill was. He has done a good job of marketing himself in recent years.

However, his work is not as sought after as other ABS Master Smiths. The heir apparent to Bill Moran is Jerry Fisk. His work along with Harvey Dean, Jay Hendrickson, Rob Hudson, Keith Kilby, Tim Hancock, Steve Schwarzer, Joe Flourny and Dan Peterson. Are among the most sought after int todays market.

One rule of marketing that many makers overlook is that you have to remain consistently in the public's eye to create a demand for your knives in both the primary and secondary market.

Any questions as to what is hot and/or collectabile in any market, visit any well known dealer at a major knife show and look at their table. Those knives are not on their accidently.

Hi Les
I agree 100% with the makers you listed being on top of there game.No denying those gentlemen make some of the finest knives around.What I meant about Bagwells Blades was that back then knifemaking and the knife Industry was starting to ride a big wave. The resurgence of Damascus was a great shot in the arm and Bagwell stands out in that time period as does Moran.Bagwells blades had a primitive look to them but were all business.I remember that the few I handled felt like an extension of my arm.Also I believe at that time he was writing the battle blades column for SOF. Its to bad that he chose not to stay active in bladesmithing.Compare a Warners book from 10 or more years ago to a new one and the number of knifemakers has increased drasticly.That wave the industry caught back then is more like a tidal wave now. Good luck with this forum I think custom knives and makers are an intricate part of the whole knife spectrum.
Bob

Back