Bought First Spyderco -- What to buy next? (Bankruptcy Foreseeable)

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
My thanks to Sal Glesser and the design team at Spyderco. I received my first Spyderco (plain-edge Standard) in the mail a couple of days ago. Fantastic knife! I'd already about decided to buy a 440V Military (been posting questions about it for the last week), and this first knife sealed the deal. Poor house, here I come!

I like this Standard model so much that I wonder why it was discontinued. Now, I'm thinking maybe I should get another one (just in case, you know). It really has a nice "heft" to it, yet it's small enough to carry without even knowing it's there. But I imagine there are other similar "hefty but small" designs I'd like as much.

Any suggestions out there?

Great buy!! I suggest you purchase the 440V Native next in addition to the Military. I have both serrated and plain and can't seem to leave them alone. They are always in my pockets around the house. I also have both versions of the Military. Sweat knives. Can't get any better.
Back to the Native. They are real comfortable to hold and you can get a good grip on it. The blade is really sharp out of the box. The knife isn't bulky either. I'm sure others can back me up on this.
Welcome to the club.
smile.gif

Do you have the Native in both GIN-1 and 440V? How much difference does the steel make in everyday use?

IMO Don't buy another one just yet. Keep your first one on you at all times for at least one week, use it, and get to know what you like about it. Then go on to buy another one. By this time you will know what you want in a knife as far as shape and size goes, (and what type of material too) and you won't have to trust anyone else to make a decision that might not be right for you. I hope this helps. Also, why don't you let us know what you plan on using the knife for. Every different shape has a different purpose.
=--------------Ed

Good advice Ed. I certainly won't rush to buy another without thinking and looking at shape, qualities, and needs. So far though, the Standard has fit the bill. But I don't want to own 3 Standards; I'd like to try another model or two.

An avid camper, I like a blade that can easily cut rope, stand up to small branches, maybe clean a fish. (Here, I'm thinking Military.)

Out of the woods, however, I mainly use a knife for normal, everyday, around-the-house chores like cutting paper, cardboard, cord, etc. I sharpen the occasional pencil. I might trim wood once in a while in the shop.

I like the Standard so far because of its thick blade and solid feel. But instead of owning several Standards, I think I'd like to try another model or two with similar characteristics, but maybe a slightly different look.

The Calypso, Jr. sure "looks" good. Comments?

[This message has been edited by Guyon (edited 03-25-2000).]

Just a thought, no Spyderco collection is complete without an Endura
smile.gif
I agree with the above, carry yours for a week, see what ya like best about it. You really cant go wrong with any Spyderco you get.

Richard

I'd go for a purty knife next and Cal jr would fit the bill - as would a Cal snr, a Viele, a Centofante...bye-bye house
smile.gif

A Wegner Jr. or a Harpy would fit what your looking for. Both have 2 7/8" blades w/ solid G-10 handles similar to the Standard. The Wegner is a liner lock while the Harpy is a lockback.

If you want another small to medium size knife, the Delica is a great deal. I think Spyderco fans tend to forget this knife since it is so common. The Calypso lightweight would be great too since the Delica, Standard and Native are all hollow ground while the Calypso is flat ground. The flat ground blade makes the Calypso a great slicer. Of course the Native is awesome. I have more Natives than any other Spyderco.

My deepest sympathies. You are now done for.
biggrin.gif

------------------
It's always darkest before the dawn. So if you plan to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

Guyon - yes you are hooked now. Better check with your employer about automatic payroll deductions to Spyderco!

------------------
AKTI Member # A000835

If you're content keeping the standard for the office, IMO, I would consider getting another one just for camping. A couple summers ago (when I still had summers free) I did some landscaping work, and I found that a knife (a cheap spyderco impersonator) with a serrated sheepsfoot blade to be absolutely indispensible as far as cutting rope, branches, etc. (I am, of course, referring the rescue knife) I carried mine in a vecro pouch attached to my belt. Very handy that way. Hope this helps.
OH, and I always figured that the harpy would do a kick ass job doing the same type of thing. Never got a chance to test my theory though
frown.gif

+--------------Ed
Let me add that a co-worker of mine used the serrated Viele and this worked well too. I guess my suggestion would be that many Spydercos seem to fit this bill. The Police looks good too. I would just make sure that one you buy does not curve inward a lot.
Another suggestion: Since you live in TN, make sure you visit the Red River Gorge in KY. It's definately worth the trip. Great rock climbing too!!
*Also (sorry if it seems like I starting to babble) if it's a consideration, most cops will recognize a rescue knife for what it is. (NOT a weapon) and not give you any grief, as far as that is concerned.
------------------
One small step for man, One giant leap for frogs, One mile for fleas.
It's all about perspective.

[This message has been edited by edrozen (edited 03-26-2000).]

Gotta get a Wegner. No Spyderco collection is complete without one.

------------------
Dennis Bible

Dennis, I'm with you on this one- big time- I also have the exact Standard & the Wegner is a real workhorse & they "go well together"- get one in your hand & feel the heft- the Military is a great knife, but the Wegner is my favorite all-round user. You're going to have a heck of a time picking out the next one- BTW the Calypso is a super knife too! Enjoy the hunt & develop a taste for Peanut Butter & Government cheese.
wink.gif

------------------
Runs With Scissors
AKTI# A000107

Back