Buying advice for safety razors?

I am considering switching to an old fashioned safety razor. Anyone have any advice on what to buy? How difficult is the learning curve for going from modern multi blade Gillette razor to old fashioned safety razor? Thanks in advance.

Is shaving with an old fashion safety razor an improved shaving experience compared to a shaving a modern multi blade razor?
It's for sure not better. It's a really hipster thing to do a shaving ritual with vintage gear.

There is a learning curve that can be frustrating and/or fun and eventually you will get better shaves, less irritation than with multi blade or electric razors.

I thought it was supposed to be less irritating because you are only using 1 blade.
Nope.

b9c122d08f4d4152ad68e8bd3fe51e18

hmm, there seems to be conflicting info . . .
I recommend trying a Henson aluminum safety razor as your first DE - it could easily be the only one you want/need. A lot of experienced wet shavers have began using them. I have a number of DE razors, my favorite being the Razorock Lupo's in stainless steel. I also have a Henson (the 'aggressive' version which is not what I would recommend starting with - go with a "medium"), and recently purchased a Razorock German 37, which is a 3-piece clone of the (2-piece) Merkur 37 Slant. I am really becoming a fan of the German 37 - it has no blade feel at all, yet delivers a really nice close yet comfortable shave that allows me to EDS with it (every day shave).

I use an old Gillett double edged adjustable razor; have for the last 65 years or so. Getting hard to find double edged blades now, but they are still around. I have an extra razor (same kind) that I picked up at a yard sale years ago. a good cleaning and oiling and it's ready to be used.

I use an old Gillett double edged adjustable razor; have for the last 65 years or so. Getting hard to find double edged blades now, but they are still around. I have an extra razor (same kind) that I picked up at a yard sale years ago. a good cleaning and oiling and it's ready to be used.
Not online it's not; plentiful and CHEAP.

Lots of the world doesn't use cartridge razors, two of the best razor blade factories were in Russia (okay, so those will be hard to get) and India, but there are others around. It's worth the effort, even with a fresh blade per shave, you save money, and when you can get them in full retail sleeves, of 500 at a time, it's not a huge deal. Even if just swapping to good soap and a brush, you'll enjoy things more than goop from a can. I have a Gillette open comb tech as my main travel razor and a vintage long-handled gillette adjustable as my main, I do full face and scalp and rarely have troubles. Give it a shot, try a bunch of blade types, there are a lot of reputable blade sellers on ebay, and a lot of good online men's shaving stores. The big river won't likely be the best place, but look around, and you'll find something that is just as quick and easy and doesn't involve as much waste or bulk.
As far as learning curve, it's not that bad, you just need to be awake. If you are a "shave while still waking up" guy, it might be difficult, but the cool thing is that with the right blades and handle you can get a custom set that suits you, not everyone is the same, and the variety might seem daunting, but a little trial and error will set you up just fine.

Last edited:
Lots of the world doesn't use cartridge razors, two of the best razor blade factories were in Russia (okay, so those will be hard to get) and India, but there are others around. It's worth the effort, even with a fresh blade per shave, you save money, and when you can get them in full retail sleeves, of 500 at a time, it's not a huge deal. Even if just swapping to good soap and a brush, you'll enjoy things more than goop from a can. I have a Gillette open comb tech as my main travel razor and a vintage long-handled gillette adjustable as my main, I do full face and scalp and rarely have troubles. Give it a shot, try a bunch of blade types, there are a lot of reputable blade sellers on ebay, and a lot of good online men's shaving stores. The big river won't likely be the best place, but look around, and you'll find something that is just as quick and easy and doesn't involve as much waste or bulk.
As far as learning curve, it's not that bad, you just need to be awake. If you are a "shave while still waking up" guy, it might be difficult, but the cool thing is that with the right blades and handle you can get a custom set that suits you, not everyone is the same, and the variety might seem daunting, but a little trial and error will set you up just fine.
A lot of wisdom in that; very good advice. I get a lot of my supplies at Italian Barber. They sell their own Razorock brand, and it offers fantastic value, up to and including high quality CNC milled stainless steel modern design DE razors (as previously mentioned, I love the Lupo line). I bought my German 37 slant there, on a great Super Knurl stainless handle for under $20. Slants scare a lot of people, but I find this one super easy to use and have yet to nick myself with it.

Back