Cannot get a CTS-XHP Gunhammer sharp

I did, then I ran it over the ultra-fine rods and took it very very slowly. Boom, dull again. Back to square one. :(

Gotta be a problem with the rods or your technique then. It doesn't go from dull to sharp to dull again because of something done at the factory. If it were a factory issue, you'd never get it sharp.

Wash the rods with warm, soapy water to get rid of any metal residue, and be very careful to maintain appropriate angle and technique. The diamond rods really help speed up the process, FYI.

Definitely sounds like technique. Possibly a wire edge. Peters does HTM's heat treat IIRC, and they do NOT fudge things.

TriviaMonster
Your Correct about Peter's Heat Treat. No Fudge.

The knives are now sharpened a 17 degrees per side. That has been found to be the best for our style knife.
Kitchen knives go to 11 degrees. That is great but the edge will need touching up all the time to maintain any type of longevity.
So this ends up being a push - pull situation for all. We want you to have a good edge that lasts a while.

The XHP and S90V are tough steels to deal with. But on the other hand, once they are sharp they stay sharp longer in my experience.

So Darrel, I should take my Gunhammer down to 34 degrees inclusive for best results?

So Darrel, I should take my Gunhammer down to 34 degrees inclusive for best results?

Sounds about right. With the super steels (s90v, m390, etc.), I have taken them down anywhere from 25 to 30 degrees inclusive), with my Wicked Edge style sharpener.

Well, I whipped out my Lansky kit a little while ago and ran it from extra-coarse all the way up to ultra-fine at 17 degrees. It is now hair popping sharp, with no burr. I'm quite impressed! I cut through several copies of crappy magazines with it using very little effort.

Back