Can't get an edge with the Ken Onion WS blade grinding attachment

I'm trying and failing to get some broadheads hair cutting sharp. Was able to get a passable edge on a few practice knives with the basic Ken qOnion worksharp but with the blade grinding attatchment I've wasted a few hours now and gotten nothing but pretty, mirrored edges that got no bite. The broadheads are basic mild steel; getting an edge should be easy. I get burrs, especialy with the coarser grit belts, but no edge.

Not sure how I feel about this convex edge.. I used the lansky sharpening stones for years which takes a while but never had any difficulty producing a razored edge. Anyone have any ideas?

If you haven't already done it, move the lower pulley up to the higher position so there will be less lack in the belt when sharpening. The pulley that is adjustable is the pulley that is just below and left of the knife edge when sharpening. It has two positions and comes from the factory in the lower position.
'
You've said you are getting a burr on the coarse belts, which is a good thing. You should notice the burr moving from side to side through most of the belt progression. It will get smaller as you move through the grits, but I typically still notice even on the X4 belt. No matter which belt I "stop" at, I always finish with a few light passes on the 12K finishing belt since it helps remove the burr. Make sure you use very light pressure on all of the belts, too much pressure could be your problem. On the initial coarse belt I sharpen one side at a time until I develop a burr, NOT alternating sides one pass at a time. Once I'm done with the coarsest belt, I then move onto alternating passes the rest of the way constantly flipping the burr back and forth each and every pass. The burr will remain until a few passes on the 12K belt. It gets smaller and smaller on each grit progression, but should still be noticeable until the final belt.

Back