Changing Your Carry Based on Activity

As I am sure many of you all do too, I carry the same multi tool everyday. I often change up the dedicated folder I have with me, but I always keep my Victorinox Compact on hand. I am a full time student, so I really don’t need much from my EDC. However, when I know I’m going out to work outside with animals (I’m a vet student) or do other hands on things, I am often tempted to carry a larger SAK or my Leatherman Arc. I am curious how many of you all cater your carry to the activities that are out of the ordinary, or if you just trust your usual carry to get things done no matter the situation.

I carry 2 folders and a fixed blade all the time (sometimes more🤣)- I swap my city folders for orange Endura’s when off the road system as they are easier to spot when set down or dropped in brush or snow. I swap out my edc fixed blade for larger one. There are particular knives like Dozier Slim Outdoorsman that always go on fishing trips.
It is nice to have choices!😀

I carry 2 folders and a fixed blade all the time (sometimes more🤣)- I swap my city folders for orange Endura’s when off the road system as they are easier to spot when set down or dropped in brush or snow. I swap out my edc fixed blade for larger one. There are particular knives like Dozier Slim Outdoorsman that always go on fishing trips.
It is nice to have choices!😀
That it is! I usually carry a 3” folder daily but will definitely go bigger if I think I will need it.

I carry different things depending on where I'm going. Most days when I just go to work, groceries and walk my dog I just got keychain knife of some sort (+knife I leave at work).
If I travel somewhere and am farther from home I pack some sort of multitool with me.

I wear my Arc everywhere. I even wore it to a funeral the other day, just in case there was a problem with the casket.....

I also carry a Case Russlock and a Spyderco pm3-LW.

Everywhere.

when i know what my tasks for a day (or longer) will be, I tote any additional appropriate tool(s), adding it/them to my "normal" carry.
I always have at least a VIC Huntsman or Companion and/or Hercules plus a couple dedicated cutter folding knives such as a jack, stockman, moose, two blade slipjoint folding hunter, or other pattern, a Buck 110 or Old Timer 7OT, and a couple small neck knives on me.

If needed I always have a 3.9 to 4.5 inch non folding sheath/hunting knife with-in reach, in my rollator's tote/shopping bag.
(I don't like calling them "fixed blades" because they've never needed repaired.)
A LM CHARGE +TTI is either on my belt or with-in reach clipped to the rollator's wire basket, as well.
Also have a 4 & 6 inch adjustable wrenches, 32 piece 1/4 inch bit set, 12 piece metric allen wrenches along where ever I go.

"USE THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB!" was drven through my (reatively thick) skull at a young age. 😇

Last edited:
I augment my carry daily as to what I need, something I will be doing, and where I will be doing it.

My daily is always my keyring with my little AAA Fenix, Vic classic, Leatherman squirt, and in wallet my Vic quatro, and P38. Thats as sure as the sun rising in the east. The keychain size knife like the classic does for me most the time.

If I'm heading off pavement, like a hike, my daypack has my old Buck woodsman in it, along with a small emergency first aid kit. If we're going over my sister-in-law's, my old Wenger SI gets dropped in a pocket. Di always needs something tweaked or fixed up in her house. Her fella, Roy, passed away last year, so we do running maintenance over there. The Wenger also goes on road trips and vacations.

For food duty on the go, the wife keeps a Victorinox folding paring knife in her purse. Works great on baguettes and cheese's.

That's it.

Last edited:
I am the same. Also, "one is none". My default config is an alox MiniChamp on the keychain (it used to be the Rambler), a folder in the pocket and if I have a bag or backpack, there is a smallish fixed blade in there. Then I will add one of those lightweight Opinel saws if I go for a walk in the fields or by the river or maybe the alox Farmer.
I will carry a Spirit or a Knipex only when I know I will need it (I am a landlord). I assembled a small toolkit in a large Maxpedition pouch for when I have to install a gas stove or repair a wooden closet that's easy to grab without any thought (+ there is another large Maxpedition pouch for camping).
My folder will also go from lets say, serrated Native Salt for yard work in the summer to plain edge Native Chief carbon fiber when I go into urban areas in the winter (large coat pockets). The Pioneer X, the Explorer or the Traveller are for travel (stopped doing air travel ten years ago). :)

I wear my Arc everywhere. I even wore it to a funeral the other day, just in case there was a problem with the casket.....

I also carry a Case Russlock and a Spyderco pm3-LW.

Everywhere.
You are absolutely set then! I generally like to go lighter but once I graduate and get into the real world I see myself carrying my Arc daily.

I augment my carry daily as to what I need, something I will be doing, and where I will be doing it.

My daily is always my keyring with my little AAA Fenix, Vic classic, Leatherman squirt, and in wallet my Vic quatro, and P38. Thats as sure as the sun rising in the east. The keychain size knife like the classic does for me most the time.

If I'm heading off pavement, like a hike, my daypack has my old Buck woodsman in it, along with a small emergency first aid kit. If we're going over my sister-in-law's, my old Wenger SI gets dropped in a pocket. Di always needs something tweaked or fixed up in her house. Her fella, Roy, passed away last year, so we do running maintenance over there. The Wenger also goes on road trips and vacations.

For food duty on the go, the wife keeps a Victorinox folding paring knife in her purse. Works great on baguettes and cheese's.

That's it.
This is a great setup. I have to fight anxiety regarding not having the right tool on me at all times, but I think I just need to get more creative with the ones I do carry. I am getting more appreciative of not weighing myself down. Also, doing the things I do, it’s useful to have open pocket space to fill with other things such as medications, syringes, etc.

the stuff I carried when I go out the door is pretty much the same everyday. Harley Davidson wallet, keys with a SAK classic, phone, zippo, pack of reds, and my zt 452.

When I get to work the wallet keys and phone get tossed in the toolbox, the knife smokes and lighter get transferred to my work uniform along with a small flashlight and a pen in my shirt pocket. I’m never far from my toolbox at work so I don’t have much need for a leatherman or large SAK there. That covers pretty much all my bases

I will adjust my carry on my activity. I always carry my Recruit, Classic SD, and Streamlight Microstream. I will add my Rebar for work or working in the yard. Once in a great while I will add my Ontario Rat 2. I try to be as minimal as possible. I will always regular tools first if available.

A toolkit only makes sense if it matches what is being done. Roofers don't carry torque wrenches and chef's don't have monkey wrenches in their knife rolls.
You match what you carry with what you are trying to do.

Alox Minichamp and Cadet are my backbone EDC. Usually supplemented with a dedicated folder (a habit I've not yet been able to break), currently a Kershaw Barge.

My philosophy in regards to edc is "just in case". Even if I don't use it, the peace of mind that I get from knowing it is there is worth it. As such I've gone to great lengths to make EDC sets that compliment one another to create the total package. Really all I need most of the time is a small knife, a decent 3-sided metal file, and a pair of scissors. I carry a lot more than that for the sake of being prepared. So it's a self-made custom SAK with a pocket dangler on most days, and a modded Style PS on my key chain.

The classic tools you get in a multi function knife are: wood saw, metal saw/file, scissors, flat driver, can opener, awl, corkscrew, and phillips driver. I've created several different custom SAKs which combine all of these tools into a single package without crossing the line into being too large. So I'm usually carrying one of those. Then of course there are the scale tools (tweezers, toothpick or ferro rod, ink pen, straight pin) and the mini screwdriver which is held by the corkscrew.

When it comes to pliers, my philosophy is that I don't need or want to carry a full size set of pliers, which 99% of the time is true. But I don't like the SAK pliers, which is why I carry the modded Style PS on my keychain instead. They have great wire cutters and they're great for pulling stuff. It's also got a finger nail file, which is nice to have. But the scissors on the style PS are crappy, and so I removed them.

To me, this arrangement works best, and is preferable to carrying a full size pliers based multitool every day. With the pocket dangler in particular, I think it is better than a pocket clip, and it goes beyond deep carry. I usually forget that my SAK is even there until I need it.

As I am sure many of you all do too, I carry the same multi tool everyday. I often change up the dedicated folder I have with me, but I always keep my Victorinox Compact on hand. I am a full time student, so I really don’t need much from my EDC. However, when I know I’m going out to work outside with animals (I’m a vet student) or do other hands on things, I am often tempted to carry a larger SAK or my Leatherman Arc. I am curious how many of you all cater your carry to the activities that are out of the ordinary, or if you just trust your usual carry to get things done no matter the situation.
BK14, I qualified as a vet in the 1990’s and have worked in practice for the best part of 30 years. I started off by carrying a larger SAK (Climber or Huntsman), but gradually realised that I didn’t use 90% of the tools as I had better, dedicated veterinary equipment either in the back of my vehicle or at the practice.
I tended to find that if I kept a very small knife (peanut or SAK Classic) in my pocket then it wouldn’t get left behind, even on those pesky 2am call-outs. Nowadays I just tend to keep a Classic on my keys, which I use for 99% of cutting and small tool tasks (including opening packages in the field, taking skin sutures out in a pinch, etc) , and a peanut in my pocket for sentimental reasons, as it was a gift from my wife and kids 10 years ago; I’ve never felt under-knifed. A very small dedicated pair of pliers (usually Irwin 4 inch locking pliers) are also great for holding onto things when you haven’t got enough hands to get the job done, especially if you’re wet and cold.
I use a scalpel everyday for surgery, and I can accomplish a lot with half an inch of razor sharp blade!

Good luck with your studies 👍👍

At home I carry a Fieldmaster and a Buck 112. Away from home I carry a Mini Champ and a slipjoint -- might be anything from a peanut to a trapper. For hiking I sometimes add a Rangergrip 78.

I am curious how many of you all cater your carry to the activities that are out of the ordinary, or if you just trust your usual carry to get things done no matter the situation.

I definitely vary my carry. In the city, it's either the mighty Rambler or 84mm Tourist. For hikes, weekends in the countryside, etc., it's either my Adventurer or Huntsman. For trips abroad, my Waiter is my it's-handy-enough-but-if-I-lose-it-life-goes-on carry. 🇨🇭

BK14, I qualified as a vet in the 1990’s and have worked in practice for the best part of 30 years. I started off by carrying a larger SAK (Climber or Huntsman), but gradually realised that I didn’t use 90% of the tools as I had better, dedicated veterinary equipment either in the back of my vehicle or at the practice.
I tended to find that if I kept a very small knife (peanut or SAK Classic) in my pocket then it wouldn’t get left behind, even on those pesky 2am call-outs. Nowadays I just tend to keep a Classic on my keys, which I use for 99% of cutting and small tool tasks (including opening packages in the field, taking skin sutures out in a pinch, etc) , and a peanut in my pocket for sentimental reasons, as it was a gift from my wife and kids 10 years ago; I’ve never felt under-knifed. A very small dedicated pair of pliers (usually Irwin 4 inch locking pliers) are also great for holding onto things when you haven’t got enough hands to get the job done, especially if you’re wet and cold.
I use a scalpel everyday for surgery, and I can accomplish a lot with half an inch of razor sharp blade!

Good luck with your studies 👍👍
Thanks so much for the perspective! Do you practice on large and small animals? Among the equine and food animal vets I have worked with, a Leatherman on the belt seems to be the go to.

Back