Cold Steel Models You Regret Not Buying

Two legacy models stand-out prominently for me: Hatamoto, and the Black Rhino.

CS60H.jpg

fc2eb080d0f8e7e88f62895a0381e4d4.jpg

I have a Black Rhino, it’s a handful. Seemed to be a good fit for the CS line up, I’ve always wondered why they dropped it so quickly.

But to the original question, I have too many CS’s overall so I can safely say I didn’t miss many. Maybe a CV Trailmaster if I had to name one.

I don't consider knives that went out of production before I could afford them to count as regrets, so knives like the Urban Shiv which I think was discontinued when I was 12 don't make the list.

Knives I could have purchased but did not:

Carbon V Trailmaster

Carbon V Trailmaster coated

SK5 Trailmaster

O1 Trailmaster

3V Warcraft

3V DLC Master Tanto

3V DLC Magnum Tanto XII

SK5 Laredo

SK5 Natchez

SK5 Kukri

Smatchet Machete

Warlord

Badaxe

Mini Bushman

Mini Tanto

Mini Outdoorsman

I regret losing my USA 4max! I regret not picking up a ''original Tanto'' when younger but to be fair i was born in 76!

The one i probably want the most is a custom talwar in sanmai... I could just buy one but not paying silly money for one!

Flight of the Intruder Trailmaster. Bid 750 on eBay, but the winner paid 850 for it. Should have bit more.

Also an Imperia Tai Pan. Bid 1300 but bidding got to 1500. Still a good deal.

Not so much a regret about not buying and missing out…. I have had several Cold Steels over the years and always enjoyed them, but the allure of “better”, “fancier”, more statusey knives and brands got me, as it does many of us, and I veered away from them as I got deeper into the other brands, but they’ve always maintained that CS mystique.

That said, Ive had an SRK and AD10 for a while now, but recently I’ve picked up a few up more here and there when I find good deals. Specifically, a Recon 1 drop point (not my first, by any means), an SR1 clip point, and I have a g10 Bush Ranger coming in. Having picked these up, I’m again growing to appreciate CS’s bang for the buck and robustness. Doesn’t mean I’m giving completely up on other, primarily USA made knives, by any means, but I have truly enjoyed getting back into them without putting so much thought into some of the other snobbery factors, which perhaps have been given too much credence for folding knifves.

Z Zephyr One/Zero ‘s constant high praise is probably going to make me get a 4Max Scout at some point just because. And, while I appreciate the complete absurdity of the 5Max, and would love to have one for S’s and G’s, I can’t justify the cost of one of those right now. Lol

I just remembered that I have one regret relating to CS knives from my late teens.

I knew about the original Recon Tanto, called Cutlery Shoppe and asked about it and was told that the reason it sold at two for $100.00 was due to the savings from not polishing it to a satin finish, and I still put off buying them.

Less than a year later I purchased an original Tanto, but I could have also had two Recon Tantos.

The Urban Hunter, Urban Shiv, and the Mini Terrain Chopper, which was a smaller clipped point kukri. All three were pretty rare and expensive by the time I took an interest in Cold Steel.

I'd also be tempted by the 1908 British Cavalry Saber and police truncheon.

Back