Counterfeit, anyone?

Ebay counterfeit 4Max Scout $36

Only obvious difference from mine I noticed, is the "Cold Steel " logo on blade .

Maybe thumb stud is tubbier on the clone ?

Clip seems shinier and the lip more elongated .

Spine is beveled farther out at tip of blade .

Thankfully , this is fairly easy to spot !

Last edited:
Other than color, those two look near identical to me.

I was thinking the same thing.

I was thinking they were both fake and doc was just verbally comparing to his. Otherwise he would have had to buy one to put next to his for that pic.

The "S" in STEEL looks wonky on both of them.

Other than color, those two look near identical to me.
Posted pic is from Ebay ad , both are fake just different handle colors .

Sorry for the lack of clarity . I was comparing to my genuine version that was in hand to the Ebay listing pics .
I was thinking the same thing.
Didn't mean to confuse anyone .
I was thinking they were both fake and doc was just verbally comparing to his. Otherwise he would have had to buy one to put next to his for that pic.

The "S" in STEEL looks wonky on both of them.
Yup !

Actually , I see here : https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/4max-scout-review-im-sure-its-been-done-before.1832586/ that OP has maybe the pre-GSM logo which does more resemble the clone logo .

Mine has new logo with COLD STEEL in caps and not stepped , with a circle/box around the words and a blade between the words . No handle on the blade . Maybe it broke off 'cause its some new cheap ass steel ?

"R" inside circle follows the logo . R=registered (or repulsive ? )

New logo can be seen here : https://knifenews.com/new-cold-steel-owners-gsm-outdoors-talk-acquisition-future/

Last edited:
The Chinese are going crazy on eBay with counterfeits. No brand appears exempt, but Cold Steel still seems to be a favorite. The latest technique is to describe the knife generically without using the company name anywhere in the write-up, relying on the photo to lure the potential customer.

Here's a fake Code 4 listed as "Lock Back Folding Pocket Knife S35VN Blade Aluminum Handle Tactical Tool knives."

IMG-3420.jpg

IMG-3421.jpg

And here's a phony AD-10 listed as "AD10 LOCK BACK M390 STEEL BLADE CF HANDLE TACTICAL SURVIVAL RESCUE FOLDING KNIFE".

IMG-3428.jpg

IMG-3431.jpg

The AD-10 actually looks really nice with the carbon fiber handle! At least that and the "M390" blade (yeah, sure it is) distinguish it from a genuine AD-10. Good luck telling that Code 4 from the real thing.

-Steve

The Chinese are going crazy on eBay with counterfeits. No brand appears exempt, but Cold Steel still seems to be a favorite. The latest technique is to describe the knife generically without using the company name anywhere in the write-up, relying on the photo to lure the potential customer.

Here's a fake Code 4 listed as "Lock Back Folding Pocket Knife S35VN Blade Aluminum Handle Tactical Tool knives."

IMG-3420.jpg

IMG-3421.jpg

And here's a phony AD-10 listed as "AD10 LOCK BACK M390 STEEL BLADE CF HANDLE TACTICAL SURVIVAL RESCUE FOLDING KNIFE".

IMG-3428.jpg

IMG-3431.jpg

The AD-10 actually looks really nice with the carbon fiber handle! At least that and the "M390" blade (yeah, sure it is) distinguish it from a genuine AD-10. Good luck telling that Code 4 from the real thing.

-Steve
Dang, if that fake AD10 is actually M390with a decent HT and true CF handles ...GSM better get busy with upping their game !

My limited experience with counterfeits has not been favorable as to living up to their billing , however enticing .

Is it my imagination or did the fake rate go up after CS was sold?
Exactly. Even fakes of long discontinued models like Broken Skull appeared. My guess is that GSM changed the manufacturer to a cheaper (and less reliable) one and just gave them all "blueprints" like here you go, sort it out yourselves, and they just sold them to fakers.

As others said in that thread, I’ve only ever seen counterfeit spear point code 4’s.

The trouble with telling if something is a CS counterfeit is that some of the junkier stuff that CS actually makes is difficult to tell apart. Don't get me wrong there are quite a few CS Knives that I really like but, there are also some real stinkers, and now that they have been taken over by another company, who knows what they might make. Perfect examples are in the OP; if those are not fakes they should be. They really look like shite.

Last edited:
Back