First attempt at hollow grind

egally08

Gold Member
I decided to try a few different things with this knife. This is my first attempt at the hollow grind, and also my first attempt to completely round the handles.

I also took my time trying to get my fit and finish better then my first couple knives.

The tang of the blade is looking better then my first few knives, and it is completely smooth with no lumps, but it just turns dull after I shape the handles. Any advise?

On the next one drop the rear pin and try and center it move it a bit forward and put a lanyard tube on it. Keep pushing yourself every knife to get better. Good for you on trying a hollow grind. I love a nice hollow ground blade. Adds to the challenge. Keep plugging away.

What turns dull ? The wood or the steel ?

Hey thank you for the input. I had some hiccups with the holes. My first couple knives, I used 1/8th pins, and I just messed these up this time. It seems so trivial, but I cannot get them exactly centered. No matter which way I measure from, nothing seems even.

I took the advise of, getting everything done before putting the handles on, and it turned out a lot better. Except, the blade tang itself had a nice shine to it, and then when I shaped the handles, it just took it away. I think one of the problems is, I don't have a small wheel. I have to use a drum sander on my drill press, and I cannot get the shine like I could with a nice sharp belt.

I really like the hollow grind, and I want to stick with it, even if it means more hand sanding at the end.

Also, when it comes to rounding the handles, is their an easier way, short of hours of hand sanding? I initially cut a bevel around the outside of the handles, and then just rounded everything out by hand. Took at least 4 hours.

That's to much time on that handle. take it to your wheel and learn how to use it to help you knock that handle down. Take a piece of plain wood and try various techniques on the platen and wheel and your slack belt. Once you get the hang of it go it on your knife, Make sure to tape up your handle and don't sharpen until your handle is done.

I agree with Marko3, that handle should take about an hour to finish, once it is pinned and glued. I cut the main bevel on the handle using the edge of the flat platen in the curved areas, then switch to a coarse file to round it over, then 120 grit paper and blocks, then on up in grits to at least 800. If you sand the tang with each progressive grit and a backer, it will be shiny again. Of course, there are many other ways to do it, but this way works for me.

randy

I forgot to add, nice knife and good work on the hollow grind. I haven't done one yet that doesn't hit the scrap bin.

I like to use a half round rasp to shape my handles. They are quite fast, yet controllable. Then to sand paper. The biggest trick tO most of this stuff is to know how aggresive of a tool to use and when to stop. It seems I find myself sanding way at something with 400 grit, and after 15 minutes, switch back to 100 grit to remove scratch or what ever, then progressing up the grit. If I had first went to the 100 grit, I would have saved those 15 minutes right off the bat.

The biggest trick tO most of this stuff is to know how aggresive of a tool to use and when to stop. It seems I find myself sanding way at something with 400 grit, and after 15 minutes, switch back to 100 grit to remove scratch or what ever, then progressing up the grit. If I had first went to the 100 grit, I would have saved those 15 minutes right off the bat.

So true.

Only an hour? I am really doing something wrong.

Back