Water GRAYL GeoPress 24 oz Water Purifier Bottle? Good, bad, or other? Or maybe a Steripen (UVC)?

I occasionally end up at rest areas or state parks with warnings about the water, either regarding insufficient Chlorine or animal fecal matter contamination (yep, fresh spring water feeding a state rest area that had critters relieve themselves in, or near, it)!

Sure, water purification tabs are an option, or even bleach if you have any but, I'm thinking a water purification setup might be a better option. My other option might be a Katadyn Steripen UV-C sterilizer for a Nalgene bottle.

MSRP on the USB rechargeable Steripen UVC light is $130 and street pricing on the Grayl GeoPress is ~$85. The Grayl would need its cartridges replaced periodically so, I'm thinking overall both are close in terms of the overall cost to own and use infrequently. Other water purification systems targeted at hikers and campers seem a bit cumbersome and more complicated with hoses and other stuff to keep up with so, that is why I am looking at these two options specifically.

I am open to other suggestions that are compact, self-contained, and quick to use and breakdown for travel. If I am set up for the night somewhere, using my burner to boil water is an option even if I'm not looking for a cup of tea or coffee; normally I would be looking to score ~2qt/2l as I pass through an area on a quick 'pit stop'. I will also note that I avoid disposable water bottles from gas stations and conveniences like they were Poison Ivy!

So, Pro's and Con's on the Grayle or Steripen? Or some other similar option?

TIA,
Sid

Katadyn Steripen

60110054_60110055_ULT-MP-EF_EG_StandingCapOn~-~media--2247bc1a--query@2x.webp

Grayl

GP_NAT_CAPACITY_LS_IMG_a2babc13-2f00-4725-88dd-e2bc2a86c045.jpg

I occasionally end up at rest areas or state parks with warnings about the water, either regarding insufficient Chlorine or animal fecal matter contamination (yep, fresh spring water feeding a state rest area that had critters relieve themselves in, or near, it)!

Sure, water purification tabs are an option, or even bleach if you have any but, I'm thinking a water purification setup might be a better option. My other option might be a Katadyn Steripen UV-C sterilizer for a Nalgene bottle.

MSRP on the USB rechargeable Steripen UVC light is $130 and street pricing on the Grayl GeoPress is ~$85. The Grayl would need its cartridges replaced periodically so, I'm thinking overall both are close in terms of the overall cost to own and use infrequently. Other water purification systems targeted at hikers and campers seem a bit cumbersome and more complicated with hoses and other stuff to keep up with so, that is why I am looking at these two options specifically.

I am open to other suggestions that are compact, self-contained, and quick to use and breakdown for travel. If I am set up for the night somewhere, using my burner to boil water is an option even if I'm not looking for a cup of tea or coffee; normally I would be looking to score ~2qt/2l as I pass through an area on a quick 'pit stop'. I will also note that I avoid disposable water bottles from gas stations and conveniences like they were Poison Ivy!

So, Pro's and Con's on the Grayle or Steripen? Or some other similar option?

TIA,
Sid
I have not personally used the steripen but my understanding is that it is not as effective in cloudy water?
I use a katadyn gravity filter which is actually quite easy and fast. you fill the sack with up to 6 liters of dirty water, hold it up (or hang it on your car door, parking sign or whatever) and clean water then flows out the bottom of the sack through a hose into your clean water bottle. No pumping or squeezing required, gravity does all the work.

I have been using a Grayl Geopress for three summers of weekly longish hikes here in Colorado. Works like a champ. Simple to use. Build is very stout, but light. Have not needed to replace the filter or O-rings but when I do the math I believe I have only filtered 200-250L or so.

I have not personally used the steripen but my understanding is that it is not as effective in cloudy water?

Yep, UV-C sterilizers need clear water to reach the "ickies" and kill them. That is why stirring (or swirling) the water is normally recommended along with a simple filter, like a piece of cloth, for sediment. Katadyn includes a 40-micron filter to reduce the sediment, microplastics, and other stuff before it enters the water chamber FWIW.

I have been using a Grayl Geopress for three summers of weekly longish hikes here in Colorado. Works like a champ. Simple to use. Build is very stout, but light. Have not needed to replace the filter or O-rings but when I do the math I believe I have only filtered 200-250L or so.

Grayl lists the cartridge lifespan of ~300 uses in 'normal' water. Lifespan will vary depending on water quality and clarity. In my case, I am assuming ~$0.10 filter cost per use overall which could be off by 25% or 50% depending on where I source my water.

There is a youtuber channel name GearSkeptic who has a several part many hour long break down on the actual math and science for purifiers. Well worth watching for some real testing.
The short version is if you can rely on the water being clear, the steripen is easier to store and maintain, and does really well. As soon as the water gets cloudy or needs filtering, any other filter does better, at the cost of storing/cleaning/keeping the filter from freezing.
I've got several water filters, and for me cost per liter is not the question, it's long term viability of the solution as well as effectiveness in the situation of use. So from the sounds of it, you could go either way and be fine. The overall question on the UV "filters" is that the longevity of the element isn't really that well established, compared to other elements, so if you were going to aim for a couple thousand liters, that may be a factor. But that said, if you start with clear water, and you have save water in a minute, well, that counts for a lot.
I feel that the grayl units that I have seen have been under built, but then I've got a bunch of MSR gear and that's a bit like an AK operator saying that an AR might not be as resilient. The MSR gear is typically well over built. So I'm sure that with even a basic level of care it will stand up just fine. I use my steripen for treating tanked rain water mostly, but if I was walking, then I'd have my MSR gravity filter, or pump, so those are not comparable, as the MSR miniworks will damn near strain mud for water. Just gotta know what you need.

Back