Guided Field Sharpener

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Just got this today as a birthday gift from one of my daughters. I picked it out so no surprise

A few touch ups on a couple knives and I am liking it.

I don’t know how the diamond plates will hold up but I’ll use them lightly so I don’t pull the diamonds out of metal plate, just let the diamonds do their job

I would recommend it to anyone

Does anyone know if you can buy spare plates?

G2

Just got this today as a birthday gift from one of my daughters. I picked it out so no surprise

I don’t know how the diamond plates will hold up but I’ll use them lightly so I don’t pull the diamonds out of metal plate, just let the diamonds do their job

G2
Yes you can buy spare plates. I think they even offer the leather strop piece replacement.

Last edited:
Thanks I figured that they should be available but I couldn’t locate them
And as this thread is posted in the Work Sharp forum I thought it was apparent as to the brand and the name of the unit is in the title
G2

With the help of a friend, the web page was located, my search yielded nothing, but luckily there is such a page and you can get the spares I was wondering about, seen here;

thanks again,
G2

I've had one for a while. I've used it quite a bit, and it still works quite well. I thought the coarse plate was maybe a bit too coarse at first, but it's really worn in well. It does well to replicate the factory edge finish I shoot for these days, especially when I use the ceramic hone and strop to finish.

If I had two wishes, it would be more plate options, and maybe relieve some of the plastic around the ceramic rod. Sometimes I need to angle the knife just right to be able to hit the heel of the blade.

Thanks and I agree that it could use some clearance to allow you to get the start of the blade to contact the sharpening media

I have recommended it to several friends and expressed to them to keep a light touch when using the diamond plates to avoid pulling the diamonds out of the substrate
G2

G2
Hey Gary, that is a great sharpener! You can pick up replacement diamond plates on our website. Here is a link https://www.worksharptools.com/product-tag/wsgfs/

Are all the angle guides 20° on this sharpener? I'm certain the diamond plates are but what about the ceramic and leather strop guides? I read on the package something about honing 25°?

Are all the angle guides 20° on this sharpener? I'm certain the diamond plates are but what about the ceramic and leather strop guides? I read on the package something about honing 25°?
Hey Conan,

The ceramic and leather are 25°. This was intentional, we do that to create a slight micro bevel and to help you get to the cutting edge faster when you are touching up your knife. For a deep dive on this sharpener, take a look at this video from our Workshop series.

Back