HTM Gunhammer Concern?

FWIW, the M390 Gunny is fantastic. I've got one in my pocket right now. I'll be interested to see how the S90V stacks up against it, but I don't really think you can go wrong with the M390 version, provided you get one that's not a lemon. Some will be, so if you get a bad one, just send it back until you get one you like, or get it sorted by HTM.

I emailed DDR. If the price point is on point with what I am willing to pay for the 2 different knives I sent specs for then I'll buy from his site. If not, which would you choose at knife center the M390 or their S90v @ 59 HRC and or which would out perform the other of those two choices?
Landon,
I would be very tempted to go with the M390 @ their stated HRC of 62 over the S90V @ 59. VERY tempted. Perhaps contacting Phil Wilson privately would be the way to go. I would.
Best..

The pictures sent to me indicate the blade is CTS-XHP. is this better than S30v? If not I'm sending it back....

Landon, some advice from another knife guy: don't get too obsessed over steels and HRC. Most people won't be able to tell the difference. There are tradeoffs with harder steels, too. S30V, and for a harder steel, M390, are great steels, without the tendency to chip or roll that high HRC steels can have. Not to say the difficulty to sharpen. There is no perfect steel; if you are going to use your knife for all sorts of cutting, S30V should be excellent.

If you can go up a step, I suggest M390. I have several knives with ZDP-189 HTed to 67 HRC. But honestly they cut just like my S35VN blades, as far as I can tell. Again, to the average guy, cutting cardboard, wood, and opening envelopes, you probably won't be able to tell the difference. In other words, don't sweat it. Perfection is the enemy of the good, as some wise person once said.

Just trying to figure out the best steel for the price point thats all. I think for what I am looking for another $200 gunny from knife country in S30v or XHP would do me well. If i were looking at a closer gap in price between the steels I'd spring for the m390 of course.

Back