HTM Gunhammer with Ti Framelock and CF/G-10 -- PICS, INPUT NEEDED

Thanks Neuron.

My opinion, for the record, is that Mr. Ralph is way out of line here.

If you make it right, you won't have to "make it right".

best

mqqn

Sure, Scurvy didn't take getting screwed as well as the rest of us. What about Purist? Banned for no reason as well. RYP 2.0

I actually do follow the forum I just never post. Didn't feel the need to. Enjoyed looking at the Forum Knife come to life and what not. I didn't know posting about a Knife you helped bring to life and then your questions about said knives Quality was considered trolling. Back to my Cave!

Well that settles is, thanks for letting us know how you feel. Good luck selling your knives Mr. Ralph, I know I will never own one. Even though I'm sure the next run will have all of the kinks, sloppy build, poor craftsmanship and "unique" logo's worked out. And as a native Texan, welcome, just be aware that this is an entire state known for not taking BS from anyone.

Just for the record guys i like using "Ftard". There is only one of them in this tread/forum at the moment though and it ain't Scurvy.

Hi Guys, First I appreciate your hanging while we went through our crazy move to Texas. We have NEW cool knives on the horizon. I am send several to Neuron for posting. Please let me know what you think. We are interested in your comments. A few guys here just got banned. I am also tied of a few people that start with a great attitude and then boil over into Ftards. You don't deserve it. It has to stop. DDR

I have posted on this sub forum several times. I owned an earlier gunhammer 4-5 years ago and it was rough. I traded it at a significant loss.
Thought about a S90V GH briefly but after the horrible mess I have read about on this sub forum I would never ever consider a purchase from htm DDR. My suggestion is do what you are supposed to be good at and stick to customs. Many businesses have folded because they expanded beyond their capabilities. A little reading on the peters principle could save you some money Darrel.
I will spend my money elsewhere, and that is about 750$ per month. Russ

As am I. There truly is no need for name calling. Also, I find it personally offensive that "tard" was used.

I also find personal name calling offensive. When a maker does this, it says a lot about their values and business in general.

Thanks Neuron.

best

mqqn

I could not have said better myself Andy. You hit the nail squarely on the head. Ah, what a mess this is, such a disappointment.

Thanks Neuron.

best

mqqn
Very well said. Perfectly summarizes my feelings too, not to mention why I often find it frustrating to be a mod here on the forum. I think Scurvy could have used somewhat better judgment in terms of the contexts and frequency with which he voiced complaints about the forum knife, but at root, and as a fellow knife nut, I do totally understand his and others' frustration and feel it myself. The quality of some of HTM's offerings, especially the liner lock Gunhammers, simply doesn't measure up to what a knife at that price point should have. Ultimately, that's what it comes down to, and if there hadn't been quality issues with HTM stuff over the last couple years none of these issues would have come up in the first place.

I'm extremely busy working on my dissertation and other grad school obligations and don't have a much time to devote to knives or the forum as I did even a couple years ago. When I'm on the forums, I often find myself wishing that I lived near HTM instead of halfway across the country simply so I could poke my head in and see how they're doing things, peer over the shoulder of whoever is doing QC, and look at each and every knife as it was assembled, and then say "no, what the hell are you doing" when a knife with, say, lock play makes it through QC or the guy doing the etching puts "S90" instead of "S90V". That sort of thing has to stop, and I'm going to bug Darrel about it whenever I speak to him from here on out, urging him to take a more active role on the HTM side of things. I can't promise it'll make a difference - I don't work for HTM, live near them, or have a manufacturing background -- but I do know Darrel and have his ear on these sorts of things, so hopefully he'll carve out some time to take a close look at why the HTM stuff isn't measuring up to the standards he's set in nearly 30 years of making custom knives.

The reason people are here and care in the first place is because they like Darrel's knife designs and, in many cases, have seen/handled/owned one or more of his custom knives. I dare say, too, that nearly all of you would like Darrel and his passion for knives if you met him in person instead of only crossing paths with him when he makes a terse post on the forums. But all that stuff is secondary to making a quality product: we can all think of knifemakers, company reps, and so forth who are can't take criticism well when they or their company occasionally missteps, but the quality of their products is consistently high enough that it's not a big deal. HTM still has a lot of work to do in order to reach that level. I'm hoping it'll get there, not just as a friend of Darrel's and someone who loves his custom knives, but as someone who likes well-made knives in general.

Anyway, sorry for the long and somewhat rambling post, but since this thread has already gone well off its original topic, I figured it's as good a place as any to take off my mod hat for a moment and contribute my two cents as well.

I've given the benefit of the doubt on some curt emails I've traded with HTM in the past, and similar conversations at shows. Maybe playing PR, Warranty and Sales isn't for everyone.

I am surprised that, at the advertised quality and price points, anyone would take issue with the criticism instead of simply, quietly, resolving the issue.

I've been a proponent of DDR many times in the past, but this situation will silence me and prevent future purchases. I won't risk being labeled a derogatory name if I have an issue with my purchase.

That said, I am happy to see cooler heads prevail. If a company can't handle criticism they have no place here. It's a tough crowd.

Wow. Distinctly unimpressed here. Love the designs, but CS needs some work. If I had the time, I would volunteer, but this is NOT the way to handle things. If scurvy had gotten more communication up front or timely responsiveness to concerns, I wouldn't be surprised if the 'trolling' would have been reduced. Most of us forum knife buyers have at least one QC issue, and I am not aware of any major CS wins. I sure haven't had anyone offer to pay to have my knife shipped back and flawed markings fixed although in fairness I haven't called, and am sure it would get sorted if I had.

However, every other company I do regular business with goes out of its way to address complaints on the forum in a timely fashion without any inconvenience to the customer. I hope Darrel can step up his CS game or hire someone who will.

So let's see if I understand this....People pay $$$$ for your product, when they complain about how many problems it has, you belittle them instead of support them? Darrel Ralph must be a high ranking official in the Obama Administration!!! No problems here, move along....Glad I have never had the urge to spend my hard earned money with such a douche bag.

@ mutedblade

No name calling and no politics.

Are we going to see a warning for name calling directed at the creator of this debacle? And are the people he banned going to be reinstated?

I'm not going to address any of your questions in this thread. Feel free to contact me through PM.

Hi all,
First I want to say that I should have not posted at the time I came into the forum. My passion for knives and the good of the forum is wearing on me, and I posted out of frustration. Our customers can be demanding and critical, but they're also our greatest asset and source of feedback. They're certainly not "ftards"...I sincerely apologize for that comment, which was inappropriate on all sorts of levels.

I'm not going to give you some long-winded excuse or justification. Regardless of how I was feeling, what I said wasn't appropriate, and all I can do is sincerely apologize and promise to do better from here on out.

One thing that on my mind is that all of you who said I heard about him....until you know me don't judge me. Those who do know me, know that I am honest, forward and transparent. If anyone has a issue with *ANY* DDR or HTM knife please email me at dralph@earthlink.net. I will gladly address every issue. That is the best CS I can offer...personal CS from the guy whose name is on the company.

The forum knife has been a struggle for all involved. We understand that. My email address is above to address these issues. Let's get things sorted out with that situation, get past it with solutions, and move forward.

DDR

I'm not going to give you some long-winded excuse or justification. Regardless of how I was feeling, what I said wasn't appropriate, and all I can do is sincerely apologize and promise to do better from here on out.

DDR

Hey man apology accepted. I can understand how frustrating the whole thing could have been to you. I oversee a crew of angry construction guys - In the heat of an argument there are times you say things you just don't mean.. spitting out expletives and obscenities like it's your mother language.

As far as moving forward: It's not like you can babysit every single person assembling every single knife. That being said, (and as you have already pointed out yourself) there are some CS / Quality Control issues that need to be addressed for the blades that are coming out. The Gunhammers are coming out at a relatively high midtech price, and I would venture the say the general sentiment is that we would like to be able to purchase them and have thatmidtech knife right out of the box. Not purchase it to send it back / call ahead and talk with Lacey / hope we get a good one.

I hope some of the other forum folks can stand with me here and dust their shoulders off. Men will be men / sometimes they'll get a little hot-headed. It happens.

Another thing I might suggest to DDR. Poke your head in more often - not just during complaints / issues. I had a boss like that once and it never went over well. How about some more photos of that Rave Damascus GH? Passaround to promote peace?

-Chuck

Thanks Darrel. I agree with everything that dishcore said. Particularly, relating to communication. I do think you'd be well served to have someone with an affiliation with the company who can be your internet CS rep. Updates on projects seem to have dried up. Speaking as someone who also subscribes to your facebook feed, I'd like to see the daily updates you put up there in here as well.

Thanks Guys,
I will try to be here more often, and the advice about more CS has been put on my hard head - hard drive LOL.
Here are a few pics for the moment of what we have been working on at DDR and HTM.

We welcome your thoughts.

1003854_10151659024406765_740730485_n.jpg1003854_10151659024406765_740730485_n.jpgIMG_7301.jpgIMG_7307.jpgtim390.jpg

LOVE that middle one. The colors and textures just really seem to complement each other really well. Is that the Chad Nichols M390 san mai?

Back