Attention I Have Answers with No Questions

I tried relaxing once, it didn't go well.
TerrificMealyAsp-size_restricted.gif

I second the WIP suggestion. For this purpose you don't need a 10 page thread spanning months and full of comments. Just document some of the steps in a sequence of photos. It almost always amazes the audience with the amount of work, skill, and care that goes into each piece.

I second the WIP suggestion. For this purpose you don't need a 10 page thread spanning months and full of comments. Just document some of the steps in a sequence of photos. It almost always amazes the audience with the amount of work, skill, and care that goes into each piece.
For a newcomber to the subforum it can be an overwhelming rabbit hole, I completely understand. Within those long threads though are some good conversations that the WIP pictures cultivate. I enjoy explaining the process and answering questions but mostly the comraderie that ensues.

I suppose I could do a locked thread and just post WIP photos in it but that takes the interaction out of things and at that point there's no reason to have a subforum.

One thing I could do is to start more threads with more detailed focus but that doesn't really help navigating either.

Just thinking out loud, open to any suggestions.

Thinking out loud, you could do both. You could compile a dozen or so photos of a process and then release it quickly in 3-4 posts. You could also have a longer real time thread with interaction for another project.

I recently followed an old WIP from John White to do a dog bone handle. That and the Wheeler's Steel thread are classics of the longer style. Either way I think I always come away with a greater appreciation for the complexity and effort that goes into some of these builds.

Got an idea, how about a FAQ section where you post the info to common questions? Or let them post a question and you respond after a few days.

A step by step WIP would be good to layout in an organized manner. I'll try to do one on the next big project.

If you’re anything like me, a written WIP would rival Tolstoy if typed out.

When training other painters, the hardest thing for me to do is put the paint gun in their hand and turn them loose.

Second hardest part is convincing myself that they’ll be fine and not going back to become their new helicopter parent. 😁

If you’re anything like me, a written WIP would rival Tolstoy if typed out.

When training other painters, the hardest thing for me to do is put the paint gun in their hand and turn them loose.

Second hardest part is convincing myself that they’ll be fine and not going back to become their new helicopter parent. 😁
Right? Then feel responsible when they screw something up.

The wife is always mentions how patient I am when teaching the kids something and how I can find a way to make them understand things. I told her I've been training people since I was 18 on crappy jobs so I have 30 years experience figuring out how to teach knuckleheads how to complete a task or run a piece of machinery. Teaching kids that you love is easy, you can't fire them so you gotta make it work! 😆

A detailed WIP would be fun to make, compiling it as I go but releasing it all at once would make it a good resource.

How about showing how the kids make the leather products or embellishments?

I spent a year working in a radiator factory making huge radiators for equipment like Caterpillar and Terex. I've seen more brass than I ever wanted to. It's easy to work with and it serves its purpose but, you're right. It lacks soul and is too often used to inexpensively add color or a "classy" look.
I have replaced almost every bit of 80's brass hardware in our house. The bedroom door hinges are all that's left.
Yeah......But, 80's "brass" is Not the same as old time nautical brass, Or other wonderful, industrial splendor.

I too used to hate that fake shiny look.
But now, the warm glow of tough, purposeful, buttery goodness Warms my heart.
Who wouldn't love a vintage Randall from .......
I think we'd all be Liars if we said we didn't? ;)

I love all metals, even aluminum.

New here.....to You, and your work. :)
I really like the Cowbell name, it rolls off the tongue nicely.....

But
Will you ever attach a Cow to your logo?

(Sometimes I stare at it on other posts for a number of seconds before I process what I'm looking at.....since I'm new to your work)
It probably says more about me than not......but I first think it's something else.

Yeah......But, 80's "brass" is Not the same as old time nautical brass, Or other wonderful, industrial splendor.

I too used to hate that fake shiny look.
But now, the warm glow of tough, purposeful, buttery goodness Warms my heart.
Who wouldn't love a vintage Randall from .......
I think we'd all be Liars if we said we didn't? ;)

I love all metals, even aluminum.
Brass can definitely be done tastefully, when I think buttery goodness though bronze comes to mind. It's got that warm color to it even when polished that looks just right to me.

I'd love to have an old Randall. The closest thing I have to a classic like that is a Ruana from the 50's, it's a beautiful knife.

Aluminum is great for it's weight and I've done some pommels with it. Not fun to work with in my experience, if you don't clean your files after every few swipes they clog up fast and quit cutting.

New here.....to You, and your work. :)
I really like the Cowbell name, it rolls off the tongue nicely.....

But
Will you ever attach a Cow to your logo?

(Sometimes I stare at it on other posts for a number of seconds before I process what I'm looking at.....since I'm new to your work)
It probably says more about me than not......but I first think it's something else.
Hey welcome to the subforum, glad you found our little corner. It's a pretty good crew in here.

I use the Cowbell etch on the ricasso of the Cowbell knives, they also get an etched Redmeadow on the spine. I don't know about adding a cow but we could probably use some merch with one. Maybe Clarabelle's for hire 😄
5150236-croppedimage318436-clarabellaintera.png

When we built our house, of course they wanted to go with the typical brass doorknobs and hinges, but we weren't into that and went with what I guess is nickel-plated.

You looking for a big project? Asking for a friend. 😁
Lol, I've got a few to finish up and get my books clean so to speak. That's one of my goals this year.

How about showing how the kids make the leather products or embellishments?
That's a great idea, they could definitely use their own progress thread.

John, I would be really interested in watching some photos/videos of you sharpening a cowbell from start to finish. I always enjoy watching sharpening videos.
Good idea, it would be awesome if there was a video platform on Bladeforums I'd just do a bunch of live videos every once in a while. I can try to do more short vids on Youtube of processes if you guys want to see that kind of stuff, might be more insightful than WIP pictures.

Anyone mention a stacked leather WIP or video? You do that so well and you could inspire with your jigs. 👍

Back