I'm the smartest one in the room - the non-shop, non-business sub forum chat thread

Why didn't you use that thread, that one over there in the corner? The one covered in grinding dust and with all the dead mosquitos around it? It don't get used for nuthin'

Because this is for non-shop talk so I can join in on Sundays as well. ;)

Then there's the question of "Chinese food", which, as I was told by a girl who lived in China for a year, is nothing at all like what they eat in China.
^absolutely true. she is correct. was in China in 2008 for couple weeks . Shanghai, Beijing and made a stop in Hong Kong before i came back. nothing I knew was there. nothing tasted like chinese food here. one of the least weird things i ate was ox blood noodles as an example. lots of melons at sit down restaurants after the meal was a constant theme too.

this was true about every country I've been too. food here is nothing like the food there. close in looks a bit but flavors and all is radically different.

Another Shepherd Another Shepherd why is shepherd's pie potatoes, corn, and beef?
According to pedants, shepherd's pie should be made with lamb or mutton. If the dish is made with beef, it should be called cottage pie. But those two terms are often used interchangeably. I think I have never heard of cottage pie in the US.

There are many different breeds of sheep. Some are good for meat, some are not. The ones that are not good for meat are used for wool. Some breeds can be used for both meat and wool. So a shepherd may or may not have ready access to mutton or lamb.

According to pedants, shepherd's pie should be made with lamb or mutton. If the dish is made with beef, it should be called cottage pie. But those two terms are often used interchangeably. I think I have never heard of cottage pie in the US.

There are many different breeds of sheep. Some are good for meat, some are not. The ones that are not good for meat are used for wool. Some breeds can be used for both meat and wool. So a shepherd may or may not have ready access to mutton or lamb.
never heard that phrase cottage pie before. that's new one for me.

Then there's the question of "Chinese food", which, as I was told by a girl who lived in China for a year, is nothing at all like what they eat in China.

But many Chinese restaurants in the US will serve various kinds of authentic Chinese food if you ask them politely.

Some Thai restaurants in the US will serve authentic Thai food if you ask them and confide that you have eaten authentic Thai food previously without needing to be taken to an emergency room.

But many Chinese restaurants in the US will serve various kinds of authentic Chinese food if you ask them politely.

Some Thai restaurants in the US will serve authentic Thai food if you ask them and confide that you have eaten authentic Thai food previously without needing to be taken to an emergency room.
Vietnamese places here have a menu for Vietnamese folks who want authentic and non-americanized stuff and menu for everyone else. some mom and pop style asian restaurants do this as well.

leaned this back in early 90s saw guy get something I didn't recognize. so i asked waiter what he was having and he said that's from the Asian only menu....so I asked to order from it. big mistake as it was watery and bland unseasoned and not great. last time I asked for the special menu......

So tonight the family clocked off of responsibilities and had a fire in the solo stove. Tonight I used my Skrama after a self check verification that the skinny fat Bowie with a sharpened top swedge does equal damage to the baton as the wood to be split. This is a reminder to all that when you request a sharpened swedge from DM it is not decorative it is fully functional.
2LqMPTf.jpeg

Disclaimer:
No blood was spilled in the making of this public service announcement.

Last edited:
It was wonderful and much needed. 7 pm to 11 pm.

You should be sleeping at 2:30 in the morning where you're at...?

Not judging, last night ( morning) I went to bed at 5 am and got up at 8:30 am.

If I recall, this last week I got 8,5,8,5, 5 and 10 hours sleep, and about 6 last night. It’s not perfect, I know.

Mom’s coming over for lupper today. 🥰 She always goes gaga over Smokey even though she has her own cats.

It is the simple moments in life that bring the best memories. I do not remember my High School Graduation, but I remember my grandfather teaching me to make a box trap out of scrap timber after our barn collapsed.

Enjoy the day.

Back